Print Topic - Archive

Elsa Peters living a new life in Bulgaria  /  My Diary by Elsa Peters  /  AUGUST 2018
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 1, 2018, 5:39pm
Wednesday 1st August

So a new month and let's hope that this one is drier than the last two,  It's been bastard weather.  Seven thirty start and the sun had almost broke through.  I somehow gravitated to the downstairs sofa with my coffee with my DS and had to start a new sign in,  Apparently I'd used all the memory slot so deleted my history and now charting a new course.  The joys of old faithfuls.  I settled for toast and delivered a small water melon to my Avatar well I would have done if she hadn't have been gallivanting round the neighbourhood. so I handed it to her DIL who promptly secreted it in the house.  Spies are everywhere. I eventually tracked her down in Beyser's garden along with Zelinger and I had to relate the story of my champion dive from the bath to the bathroom floor and we all ended up having a laugh about it...and I can laugh now.  I said that my God decided that he didn't want me yet and had sent me back which they thought funny.  I went back with Avatar to her garden and the topic of the wedding came up and she mentioned that it was Saturday not Monday which I thought it was,  Now me being in Plovid airport on Friday evening it makes more sense to book a hotel in Assenovgrad which is where the wedding is taking place and I can have a gentle stroll to the reception and drive home in my own sweet I booked one.

So back home and the rest of the morning just went by.  At twelve I got the urge to mow the grass in front of the's still very wet but it was looking very unkempt.  I went out, cleaned the mower underneath and fired it up.  By one I'd managed to achieve quite a lot but it was getting hot out there so I came in for a rest and to take water on board and went out again.  I ran out of fuel and thought it was a reprieve but found there was enough in the can to fill it one more time so in for another rest and then out at three and back in and finished by four.  All the borders looks ace.

It suddenly occurred to me that I didn't have the venue address so I went back to see Avatar and her grand-daughter has investigated and I now have the address.  Just heard that Mrs D of S has been busy selling gladioli bulbs so I've asked her to put some on one side for me.  I need a different colour...mine are all yellow and red and hers are baby is no robbery.

Quite a heavy lunch of corned beef and toast so not in to cooking tonight.  A little fruit juice and half a box of real Turkish locum (delight) stuffed with nuts should suffice.  LN....And relax,,,,LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 1, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 1
And a few pickies
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 2, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 2
Thursday 2nd August

Lovely start to the day...six start and the morning just drifted by.  I got washed and dressed, that bath that I was going to have last night never materialised....I woke up in front of the computer and at midnight it was much too late and drop another Kindle into the water... ;)

My first job was to print copies of a lion puzzle that I'd got for baby G of S and laminate it so that when it came out of the wrapping the parents would know how to put it back together again to check that all the pieces were there and not shoved down the back of the sofa.  That done I checked out the  new plant that I'd put in and gave it a drink, weeded another part of the vegetable patch although yesterday's exercise on the grass with the mower had left me hardly able to manipulate the fork.  Looking over to the cucumber plants I spotted one reasonable sized one partly hidden by leaves so I checked and found five others.  I gave them a wash and headed down the road and handed two to Haciber, one to Beyser and my Avatar had the others.  Why is it that what I don't eat grows surprisingly well...but this year, everyone's tomatoes and grapes are rubbish...we've just had too much rain.

So I packed up the car and headed for Djebel with a mini-shopping list from Mrs D of S, the cash machines were empty, got more pain killers from the chemist, completed the shopping and set off for Samodiva for an expected cheese sandwich lunch and was most surprised when D of S decided to cook us lunch.  A very restful day and the little one is such a sweetie ...she even gave me a hug as she set off with D of S for an ice-cream from the local ale house.   What a lovely excuse a child can become.  Home for four thirty more or less, washing in and was surprised by a visit from the Librarian for a catch-up.  I'm taking her and the family to Plovdiv airport tomorrow and she was checking on times and venues and we agreed four at the garage.  Her jeep can stop there for the duration since there's not much room in my drive and I didn't want to leave it outside because of the cows.

Eight thirty and tonight I'm having that bath that I promised myself last night.  Only thing on my agenda in the morning is to get up, get the Beast in by two for a check over before we leave for the airport and get the insurance for Baby transferred into my name .  It just needs a photograph of the car registration document being sent over to the insurance company and all handled by my student's mother at the shop....Shimples.  No pickies I'm sorry to say....I'll do my best tomorrow from Assenovgrad to post an update otherwise it will be Saturday evening when I get back.  LN....Bath water at the ready.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 3, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 3
Friday 3rd August

Early start but everything was leisurely.  I had my bath last night and watched my hair so the first thing was to comb it out and let it dry naturally instead of blasting it with the hairdryer.   I gave the plants on the terrace a good water yesterday and while the ground holds it, the pots don't.  Coffee on the terrace and it looked to be a good day so the final washing went in, the wind got up and it was dry in quicksticks.  I didn't hear the bread van so I made myself a bacon omelette and it kept me going all day.  I cleared the kitchen rubbish and had a bonfire and it was goodbye to a pair of old trainers that my guest had said could go and a pair of mine that the sole had come away from the  top on one of them.  I stood watching it as it got very fierce at one point but it all ended well.  I had a bit of a shock though...Avatar's son has bought his grandson a toy electric car and the son was walking up and down the road trailing after his grandson.....I'm wondering if he was still pleased that he'd bought it... :-/

I started my packing ready for tonight and cleared out the back of the Beast and dropped the rear seat so that all could travel in comfort.  As I said last night we'd agreed four o'clock so there was no real pressure on me today.  Finished my packing, put my dress for the wedding folded in a bag and loaded everything in the Beast.  Washing came in from the line and I changed into my jeans, closed up the house and headed for Djebel and the garage at twenty passed three.  I stopped off at the car shop to hand in my Baby documents so that the insurance could be transferred over to my name but forgot the original document issued to the previous owner. so it will get done another day.  When I arrived at the shop, my student's mum said that she had been trying to phone me and that the Librarian was waiting for me at the garage saying that I should have been there at three.  I told her that we had agreed four last night so I set off for the garage to be told that the Librarian had left.  I tried to phone her and got no reply, my student left a message on her son's Facebook page but no response so I went home.  First job was to cancel the hotel that I'd booked, second was to try to rearrange a lift for the wedding tomorrow in Assenovgrad and now my place in the car had been taken so I'm joining the ladies on the bus at nine in the morning.  

I was feeling very disappointed but I've reread my posing from last night and I know that the time I had in my head was correct....In fact we'd worked out the timing...the plane didn't leave until nine tonight so if we'd have left at four, and it's a two hour journey to Plovdiv, it still left three hours before the plane left.  Shame.  LN...Camera batteries full for tomorrow....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 4, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 4
Saturday 4th August

I suppose better late than never.  Up at six thirty and it was a beautiful morning and hardly a cloud in sight.  The music started to greet the day and the wedding guests to the house and there were lots milling around, so I went out and joined them.  My Avatar was putting the final touches to the car, I took a few photos and we arranged that we would leave at nine thirty so I was back to the house for final touches.  The coach left at nine and appeared to be very full as most of the village and the surrounding villages had been's the norm here.

We left as arranged, stopped off in Kardjali to get breakfast for them and I explained that I'd had mine already but half way on the journey we stopped in a truck stop and had breakfast of banichka and the coach was already there and the ladies trooping to the toilets while the men started on the beer in the cafe.  It was going to be a good wedding.  We eventually found the venue leaving a thoroughly confused SatNav in the car and the seating arrangements had all gone to pot.  They'd got the tables numbered but no one from our party had been advised of the seating plan so people were sitting anywhere so when the family of the groom arrived, their seats had been taken.  Eventually it got sorted with people carrying salads from one table to the next.  The bride and groom arrived, the vows were said at the reception in front of everyone, the book was signed, rings exchanged, champagne and the braking of the glasses, first dance and fireworks and again it was difficult to get a clear shot of the couple.  Haciber's last is off her hands at least despite the face that he's been working in Sweden for the last ten years or so.

Food was plentiful as were the drinks with bottles of whiskey on the table and I must say it's the best wedding I've been to lately...soft drinks were topped up and the empties taken away and everything efficiently achieved.  Festivities over we headed back to the car for five thirty stopping for a coffee on the way and it was then that we heard that they couldn't start the coach.  My lift decided that he didn't want to get involved and who could blame wasn't his work.  We got back around seven thirty stopping off for foodstuffs in Djebel.  I got in the house, changed into casual clothes and promptly fell asleep on the sofa and woke up in the dark at ten taking ages to come round and I'm still wondering if the coach has arrived yet... :-/ :-/

Just a few photos from the wedding and tomorrow I have a baby party and before that a trip to see my student's's been a long time and then I'm off to Lidl for butter...I'm fresh out of it and a few more things.  I'm also going to fill the Baby up with gas to see how much I've used since I've had it.  It's going to be a full on day and I might, just might head up to my swimming pool above Kardjali if i'm there anyway.  LN...Fingers crossed for good weather....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 5, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 5
Sunday 5th August

What a full on day...well morning at least.  Six thirty start and it was coffee out on the terrace.  I had some watering to do which included the bougainvillea and the smaller potted daisies so first me and then the rest.  I was wide awake last night and didn't get to sleep until about three last night.  I tried to get my head down at two, realised it wasn't happening and tried to get the Kindle fired up but I'd left it on so no go.  I ended up reading the little one and eventually hit the sack remembering to put the big one on charge.  

All systems go after my coffee.  I printed out and framed two of the photos from of the happy couple and the second one of one of my ladies with her mother that she'd asked me to do and I'd loaded up photos of the wedding on the Kindle,  Washed and dressed and made toast for breakfast remembering at the last minute that I'd used the last of the butter yesterday so it was Marmite on dry toast so the birds had the majority of didn't work for me.  I also decided to take one of my baby Greek plants for my student's for their I split up the two that I have growing and potted one up.  I was visiting my student's and her parents before the twelve o'clock baby party and especially looking forward to seeing the grandfather again.  He lives in Turkey and is such a beautiful soul and gentleman that you would be proud to have him as a grandfather and they are.  

I set off at ten delivery the first photo to Haciber's house and was surprised to see that the bride and bridegroom were already there having spent the night in an hotel in Plovdiv.  I handed over the photo to the couple, she commented how quickly they got their first photo and I explained that I liked it and hoped that they did.  It was more in silhouette showing their seemed to go down well and the frame is pretty if they don't like the picture... ;)  On to my other neighbour and she was cleaning the yard when I arrived and she was utterly thrilled with her framed photo and then on to my student's house.  I took Baby and I never been to their house before in it and they didn't know that I'd got a new car.  The younger daughter came out and was telling  her neighbour that she didn't know who it was and that it must be for one goes down their dead end but then I got out and bearing gifts had a super squeeze with the daughter.  I haven't seen the family for ages, they've had lots of guests from Turkey with weddings and things so it was brilliant to catch up.  We sat on the terrace and grandfather appeared carrying a chair with a cushion on it and insisted that I had the one that he'd got for me and then it was catch up time with the family, they loved the plant insisting that they were going to bring it in for the winter but I confirmed that there was no need,  My first two survived and have flowered abundantly all year.  

Fond farewells at twelve and over to the baby party in the square leaving Baby at the council offices.  I found the table with most of my villagers on it and there was salad for starters, soup, a huge portion of chicken with rice and cake....pretty normal fodder.  Everybody wrapped up the second portion of chicken and not to be outdone mine's in the fridge for later.  A novel fridge magnet but a pot of bath stuff I think with the birthday date on it.  A decoration for the bathroom.  I thought about going to Lidl when the party broke up but instead went home , gave the house a general tidy and settled down with my book on the sofa and was about to nod off when Haciber appeared with a plate of baklava that's sitting in the kitchen.  She said that the wedding party and guests that had stayed at her house last night had gone off to Makaza swimming pool so she'd got busy in the kitchen.  Off she went and I did get my head down for a couple of hours, I've watched some of the European championships and congratulations to Laura Kenny and the cycling...a second gold and potentially a third to come later.

I've had a very fulfilling day and I realise how blessed I am with neighbours and most of the locals, I appreciate that I'm accepted not tolerated.  A quick update on the transport from arrived back in the village at nine fifteen last night.  A really long day for some of the oldies.  LN...Chicken is calling from the fridge...LN

Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 7, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 6
Tuesday 7th August

So I was reliably informed that my blog for yesterday went AWOL...and sure enough it has...sorry.  I posted it early before the cycling started but I didn't check on it as per normal...perhaps I was just too excited about Laura Kenny and her golds.

Quick update on yesterday,  I tried to get the Baby insured before the other expired and it was fortunate that I did.  Someone along the line had registered that the driver was 'foreign and resident in the UK' and it suddenly shot up to an astronomical amount.Fortunately I get my insurance through my student's mother and not only my cars but my house so the insurance company know that I live here.  One phone call, the records were changed and it came down to an amount that I was prepared to pay.  Sorted...Off I went to Kardjali to be faced with a bleeping alarm, my gas had run out so I went to the station in Kardjali and had a lesson from the petrol attendant and even got my windscreen cleaned and now I know and again running on gas.  Cheapy shop and picked up a couple of dresses for the little one for stotinki and all washed and ready for delivery tomorrow.  

As for today Gouldjan was round at mine for eight more or less so that I could scan in a document that she needs to send to Germany.  She explained that she was going to get a taxi to Djebel and the bus to Kardjali but I took pity on her,  Twenty minutes and we were out of the door and heading to town.  First stop post office to send the document registered, second to the translator but she didn't arrive until three so that went on the back burner, a quick pit stop for lunch. shopping Djebel and home for three but absolutely shattered.  It's been very hot and humid today.  I checked FB and there was a message from my other student asking if the family could come over this evening with the grandfather.  The last time they came the wall wasn't built and the bottom of the garden looked like a bombsite.  They were impressed despite the face that I need to get the lawnmower out.  They've just gone, I've tidied up the drinks and goodies and it was so funny, the little one was driving her sister's car and you could almost see the fear on her face.  She'd parked about a meter and a half from the stone wall and as she was about to set off hadn't got up sufficient revs so started to roll backwards.  I shouted to her to put the handbrake on, to increase the engine revs and suddenly she set off in a could of dust and all it needed was a hearty 'Hi Ho Silver'.  She stopped the car and the father got out to check that it was OK and it much for driving your sister's car.  Thew washing up can stay for tomorrow, I don't need food since I had lunch out and have munched on biscuits and it's been a good day.  Grandfather for eighty two is wonderful and will talk about his visit to the English person's house and what a beautiful garden to all his friends and neighbours when he get's back to Turkey which is where he lives.  

'Ladies what Lunch are out and about tomorrow with the little one in tow.  LN....Tired but content....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 8, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 7
Wednesday 8th August

This is going to be a quick one...the power has only just come on again after going off when a gigantic wind blew most of my flower pots away and some of the others with plants in over laying them flat.  

I had a pretty sleepless night.  I'd decided to leave off the tablets to see how much pain I was really in and whether any progress had been made in the healing department.  What a wrong move that was...I was almost frightened to move in bed last night because I knew it would hurt and it did.  I was up and about at five, went down and found the last of my tablets and took one and within half an hour I was moving without dreading the had abated.  So my mission today when I was out was to get some more if I could using the same prescription.  Gouldjan was supposed to come round this morning at eight to use my internet but my phone went and she had to call it off.  She's home and has quickly fallen into the routine of having to catch up on the normal work that goes with having ten cows and a mother who hasn't been well.  I told her to leave it for another day.  At nine I sat on lay on the sofa with my Kindle and promptly fell asleep again and waking at ten fifteen.  I had half an hour to get ready I was out for lunch with Ms D of S and the little one and another newby to the area.

I was out for ten forty five and over to theirs for just after eleven.  I forewent coffee and we swapped the child seat over and off we went.  My friends are doing their house up so we went to catch up on the improvements and we set off for the restaurant at about twelve fifteen and it was hot, hot, hot.  The restaurant was busy, with people swimming in the pool and we hadn't any swimwear at all.  Of course the little one wanted to go in the 'puddle' as she calls them and started to take her clothes off and couldn't understand why she wasn't heading for the pool.  Instead she was put in the play area while we ordered but wasn't very happy about it...outside looked far too tempting.  Food was good, catch-ups were made and we set off back to home for about two.  We dropped off the third partner in crime, checked out the chemist in their village and managed to get more tablets so that I take away the pain and hopefully heal, Coffee in Samodiva, home for three thirty, settled in to watch the European Championship and it was at this point that the wind got up, the clouds gathered it started to rain and the electricity went off.  So out with the Kindle and Game of Thrones and I promptly fell asleep but this time lying on the bed.  

So it's not long been on and by now it is time for bed so with fond farewells and a tablet at the ready....LN...Hopefully out for the count....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 9, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 8
Thursday 9th August

Well a good night's sleep did me a power of good.  Out on the bedroom terrace with coffee at six thirty to watch the sunrise and moved down to the lounge terrace for the second cup.  I kept looking over at the grass in front of the little house and it was truly a wild garden and great for the insects but not good for me.  It's not that mine is the only fields, I'm surrounded by them.  It had to go.  

By nine I'd had no message or phone call from Gouldjan so I took it that she has still plenty of work to do in the house now that she's back.  I think she sees corners that no one else sees.  I didn't bother with breakfast and I was out with the mower at nine more or less.  I did one down run and another up and at that point I realised that it was still very wet underneath and that it was so long that it was fairly impossible to do so I took the box off the back and just went for it.  It was hard work but by ten I'd finished the main part of the grass and went back to putting the box back on to do the areas where it wasn't so thick and wet.  I almost got shrapneled when  I mowed underneath the cranberry tree without the box...those stones really do hurt when they get ejected through the machine.  Down the bottom of the garden there are a few more stones hidden in the grass so I felt better protected and the battery strimmer took off the grass and weeds against the new wooden surrounds of the new gardens.  There are still some weeds that could do with spraying but it instead I'll get the electric strimmer out tomorrow and finish the job off.

I had an early lunch or late breakfast at eleven thirty.  I made tuna mayo and three slices of buttered toast and sat watching the European Championships and well done to the swimmers.  We seemed to feature in all of the medals today and the final one was the men winning the gold in the relay tonight.  The afternoon was spent on the sofa watching the triathlon from Scotland and again well done , we got the silver behind the Swiss who was just magnificent,  I just love my sport.

So garden looking OK and will be finished tomorrow, I thought about going to the pool tomorrow but Monday has a much better weather report so it can keep until then.  Nothing else on the agenda for tomorrow except for a bonfire and nothing for this weekend....I've been so busy of late that it's a very pleasant change.  I've just had a shower and washed my hair, into PJ's and soon be time for bed.  LN....And relax.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 10, 2018, 5:05pm; Reply: 9
Friday 10th August

Five thirty start and there was the tzzz of a mosquito in my ear. I jumped up, grabbed the spray and went wild in the bedroom.  I heard it no more but while I was down getting the spray I stopped to make a coffee and I settled to find the Soda Crush bears and to spread the jam and that wasted an hour of my time until my life ran out.  It was a pretty dull morning with clouds over the mountains and it took quite a while for them to clear.  I stripped the bed down and washed the quilt cover and sheet along with the other stuff that had collected in the laundry's amazing how it mounts up.  I was pegging out by seven thirty and what a start on the day.  I had my bonfire and cleared the rubbish and spent time down the bottom of the garden removing he weeds.  I was going to get the strimmer out but we had another power cut and when the power came on the internet went down and it was all to do with the onward journey of the servers.  I gave my daughter a quick ring since I'd missed her call yesterday and caught up with the latest from home and it was good news.

I had a late breakfast and opened my last jar of marmalade that I'd forgotten I'd made from clemantines....delicious and I should really get on and make more.  The rest of the day has been made up of 'cuddas and oughtas' but after doing the weeding this morning my shoulder was starting to ache so it was a tablet after breakfast and then I rested it.  There was nothing really pressing except I normally drive myself on but today it just wasn't happening.

Lunch at four thirty so no need for supper tonight.  I'm about to go out and water the pots....the sun did come out around twelve thirty and it's been a warm one despite the cool breeze that made me think at one point that the washing was going over to Greece.  Now switched over to the evening athletics....LN...That's my evening sorted then...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 11, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 10
Saturday 11th August

So woke up in front of the computer at twelve thirty this morning.  One minute I was watching Monty Don and then he'd gone.  Straight from the desk and into bed and went straight through until seven this morning and it was the sleep of the just.  It was a reasonable morning...I did the watering that I was going to do last night and didn't and everything looked happier for it.  Lots of small birds around diving between the mulberry and next door's garden and generally having a good time or so it seemed.

I sat out on the terrace with my coffee, sorted out some coins ready for the bread van.  I wanted bread and eggs, the sunflower bread from the other day was down to crusts and I needed new eggs...the others were about three weeks old and due for the hillside.  I settled in to weeding my lobbing spot  and decided to checkout my cucumber plants and found four that were worth taking to my neighbours  I made the second cup, had just got settled when I heard the toot at his last stop before he made his way down to us so taking my booty I delivered two cucumbers to Avatar and the others to Haciber and carried on to the van.  I had a surprise invitation to a Mevlit at ten this morning to the house opposite Zelinger's house so came back, toast for breakfast with marmalade and dressed for the occasion.  I also found another two cucumbers hiding in the foliage so put those in a bag and delivered them to Zelinger's door and left them on the door handle...she was already at the neighbour's house.

Lots of neighbours at the Mevlit and it was nods all round.  I always feel refreshed afterwards, the hogga sings the prayers, I close my eyes and do a little meditation, rice and meat at the end and this time we were given a box of Turkish Delight.  I made my way back and my Avatar was sitting in her garden so I went in and sat with her for about half an hour before I headed back.  I'm still into rest mode.......and it's been television most of the afternoon watching the gymnastics and now I'm settled in for the athletics.  Another day with a lack of photos....I promise to do better.  LN....Got some finals about to start...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 12, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 11
Sunday 12th August

Five start and I watched the sun come up this morning.  The sky was very blue and pink and then turned as the sun started to make its appearance.  There seemed to be a pool of lava hanging in the vee of the mountains and the camera did manage to pick it up.  So up it came and it its job today ws to burn off the overnight moisture from the grass....I wanted to get the mower out and finish the grass off.  The first half had been done without the box on but I was determined to get the rest done properly this time...  I wanted the garden finished.

Poached eggs for breakfast and by nine I was out there and working away.  I'd finished most of it and then I ran out of fuel so it was a lovely excuse to come in and top up the fluid intake and sit for a while.  Realising that this could turn into a long break. I pulled myself together, filled up the mower and off I went.  With the energy level being pretty high I decided that I could go over the other half picking up the dried grass that was littering the surface and now it's all the same and won't grow at different speeds.

This time I did come in and get settled and on went TV Catchup and it's been on for most of the afternoon.  I watched the diving, the gymnastics and now the athletics is on.  It's the last day...everything back to normal next week.  Lunch was in front of the computer, tuna mayo which is my latest obsession followed by the rest of the ice-cream.  I have put in a couple of chicken legs in the oven for tonight but as things stand at the moment...I think I might be having them cold tomorrow.

So now back to the athletics....we have the four by one hundred relays tonight and fingers crossed. we can do it again.  Swimming tomorrow if the weather looks good,,,I need some water therapy on my shoulder...gentle exercise.  LN....Races, shower and bed....LN

Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 13, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 12
Monday 13th August

Seven start this morning and the sun was up and about its business.  I'd changed my mind on the swimming and settled for the strimmer but after spending the majority of the morning searching for my favourite swimsuit that had gone AWOL, it got too hot for strimming so I stayed indoors out of the sun.  I ventured out onto the terrace for my coffee and watched the martins flitting round the nest under the eaves of the little house.  The second brood has finished and I think they're only filling time up before they head for the open road or airwaves again for better climes.  One the frenzy had subsided I started to think about the fact that the day was full of possibilities but the mood soon went away again.  I'm thinking that I did too much yesterday and my body is telling me to slow down a little.

I made toast and marmalade for breakfast, cleared up the kitchen and thought I'd tackle the kitchen windowsill.  It had a accumulated items such as the bottle wine bottle uncorker and since I don't uncork bottles any more it's been relegated to the kitchen under worktop shelf.  I shall probably forget where I put it and when the next guest arrives it will be a 'hunt the uncorker' but that in itself has the benefit of slowing down the consumption rate.  A few of the other things have been put away and now it looks almost presentable.  It normally happens this way....with the possibility of another guest arriving you start looking in corners and with fresh eyes.  If this one does come off....our friendship goes back almost fifty years...amazing.

As for the hunt for the swimsuit, I started with the bathroom and nothing, checked out the swim bag in the Beast and again nothing and something drew me to the chest in my bedroom where I store my winter clothes and as I opened up the lit, there it was.  Not a clue how it got there...maybe my ghost is playing tricks on me stop it.   My next job on the list was to make polish from rosemary, beeswax, soap flakes and turpentine but I was a little short of the turpentine so it's on the list for the next time I go shopping.  The last lot I made was in 2009 in the UK but having bought beeswax from Mrs D of S I thought I'd give it another try.  It's the real thing and give a superb shine that really protects the wood.  

So this afternoon I had my usual nap and woke up at four and now the European Championship has finished I have to find something to fill my time.  I wrote a list of things I need to do and I almost feel that I'm on a countdown to winter already.  It's been a funny old year but it has been good for the garden and everything is still so green, the lawn isn't crispy and brown.  Lovely evening,,,I had a late lunch so no need to think about food and cooking tonight.  LN...Out and about tomorrow.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 14, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 13
Tuesday 14th August

What a horrible sleepless night last night.  At four I was still not settled and was playing Soda Crush.  I did manage to eat all the chocolate and find the bears but I didn't even wait for the lives to run out....I put a stop to it, switched off the light and eventually went off into the land of nod.  I was awake at seven thirty though so not a lot of time asleep, the sun was up, the corn was high as an elephants eye...and I'll leave you with that thought with the song rattling through your head.  At eight I was down at the bonfire taking the garden fork with me to get the cans out of the burning basket and once that was going I turned my attention to the weeds between the bottom of the wall and the bonfire bucket.  There's an old rose in the corner where the long wall and the bottom wall meet and that should really be pruned hard or removed...I haven't decided which yet.  I set to and at half nine I could see the wood for the trees and true to form, I hit a small polythene mine and the inevitable jam pot lid.  The polythene is for the bonfire and the lid for the container, have to get my money's worth from the tax that I pay, but it does look so much better and ready for planting up after a good watering.  It probably needs digging over again to bread up some of the subsoil and more of the stone but most of the back breaking or arm/ shoulder knackering is done.  Quick breakfast of toast and a wash and dressed, I was expecting Gouldjan at ten which suddenly shifted to ten forty five which is good for a Bulgarian.

So into the car, I remembered that she never brings a towel when we go swimming so I got one for her.  I'd read on FB that the police were having a purge on car safety equipment and first aid boxes and I suddenly remembered that I hadn't notice a first aid box in the Baby so IU stopped off and bought a 'super' version at a cost of fifteen leva and if you consider the fine is twenty, using reverse logic I might have saved myself five leva.  On to the super hardware shop in Kardjali and I remembered that I'd used the last of the strimmer cord so topped it up with three new ones...that should keep me going.  I dropped Gouldjan off at her old school in Kardjali to pick up some documents and I carried on to the car and she joined me later.  We settled for doners for lunch  and then headed up to the pool.

There were very few people there which is just what is needed.  Lots of unused sunbeds so we settled and I was in to the water in quicksticks.  I was very careful with the arm/shoulder, it was OK while I gently exercised it in the water but it ached a little when I settled back on the sunbed.  I did manage to get in a few zzz's, had an ice-cream and bought a bottle of water when I woke up and back to the pool again.  Not a bad place to spend an afternoon.  More people arrived but it was still very comfortable and we stayed until six fifteen, dropped into Lidl for a few items and then headed home. Gouldjan headed for the terrace and phoned the world and all its friends using Viber while I put  the shopping away and then she came in to send her documents over to Germany.  Unfortunately the files were too large so I had to use one of the programs that I use of the blog to remove loads of pixels and then they went flying over to Germany.  I had my supper while I waited for her to finish and took her home at eight was getting late.

Tomorrow's task is to dig over the patch again and water it well  and try out a couple of shrubs in there.  It's by the wall so they should be protected as long as I remember to water them well.  Lovely tired feeling but a day in the sun and a swim does have that effect on you.  LN....I should do it more often....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 15, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 14
Wednesday 15th August

Absolutely shattered last night and slept well until six thirty this morning.  I should swim every day.  Washing in by seven, pegged out just after seven thirty and my day was going swingingly.  I headed down to the bottom of the garden and grabbed the garden fork and set about clearing some more of the weeds around the buddleia and at eight thirty headed up to get washed....I had a bread van to be ready for....but I left my sleeping attire was good enough  for gardening.  So got bread and cheesy bread for breakfast and decided that it would be tastier filled with bacon and brown sauce so that's what I did.  I sat out on the terrace with yet another cup of coffee and stayed for a while to let it go down .  I'd still given that receipt that I'd found some thought but couldn't remember what I'd spent the money on in the jewellers over Christmas so phoned the UK but he couldn't remember either.  What a pair,  I was just finishing the call when my buddies from one of the villages to the south arrived with his wife so the kettle went on and we sat out,  The conversation focused on stone and marble for worktops and he mentioned that there was a place in Momchilgrad that cut stone to whatever you wanted .  We also talked about my little house in the mountains and how I'd love to go there at sunset and watch the sun go down so off we went to Momchilgrad.  I suggested we took the Beast so that it would have a workout and it would cut kilometres off the journey.

The stone place was amazing and I have a job for them to do and off we set to see my little house, firstly to see if it was still standing and secondly to make sure that the roof hadn't caved in and I was surprised that there's been little deterioration in it over the last nine years.  Problem was a day for camera shots but mine was sitting at home on the table so I'm using an old one of the house and I'll be back to the stone yard with the photo of what I want them to make for me.

Home for three and the kettle went on again and we sat on the terrace with cups in hand.  We've got plans in the pipeline for Plovdiv and the Sunday market in Greece that will be firmed up as his building progresses and needs for things get more urgent.  The beauty of building in BG.  Off they went at four thirty, my chicken went in the oven for supper, washing in and put away and my next visit was supposedly at eight from Gouldjan to check her emails.  I did managed to sneak in half a chicken with bread but at nine she hadn't arrived so I shut up shop and put the lights out downstairs.  At nine there was a tap, tap on the window and she'd arrived.  I'd only brought the Baby into the yard ten minutes before ready to take her home but too late, it stayed in the yard,  The email she was waiting for hadn't arrived so she said that she'd call round tomorrow to check again.  

I'm ready for bed tonight.  It was good to see the little house again and I'm still very impressed with the surrounding views.  It might suddenly become a project ;) ;)  LN...Who can tell...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 16, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 15
Thursday 16th August

Wide awake at five, lay there until six, went out on the terrace and sat watching the morning and the sun came up, realised I was cold and went back to bed.  I didn't even bother with a coffee and it was seven thirty when I raised my little head from the pillow.  I had great plans for today...I was going out there with the little electric strimmer and finishing off but my electricity company had other ideas.  I heard activity on the road so went out to investigate and there were three of them and a crane and work was about to commence.  I decided to get that first cup of coffee in and toast but I was too late...thy'd beaten me to it,,,my connection was no more.

I lit the gas and got the kettle on so managed coffee and settled for a ham sandwich instead.  I moved out with the camera and saw that they really meant business, the crane was now blcking the road and one of the new concrete poles was being erected.  Of course there were more foremen on the job than actual workmen and I naturally assumed that they would fetch the old one down and connect up the new cables but I was wrong again.  This could take some time.

At twelve it came on again so I could get some of the electronic stuff off my calendar but Gouldjan arrived to connect up to my internet and make her calls using Viber.  At twelve twenty it went off again so she was scuppered and had to resort to using her normal connection to ring Germany to see if the emails that she'd sent the other day had arrived.  Her German is good but the lady that she was speaking to was in the car  so the reception was poor and I'm not sure if it was resolved or not.  I went out to check on the progress of the engineers and by this time the road was clear and I noticed Gouldjan's brother driving towards me.  He asked if Gouldjan was still with me so I went back to the house and told her that her chauffeur had arrived and off they went.

I settled in for a very quiet afternoon, it was much too hot to go outside and start the strimming and it's now been moved to Saturday.  I'm off to Plovdiv tomorrow on a materials excursion with friends.....which might turn into a tourist visit to Asenovgrad and surrounding areas and I know that a visit is planed to a new supermarket that's opened...a poor man's Ikea.  The rest of the chicken has been used up for supper, clouds have gathered so I probably wont have to water tonight.  I did give everything a good soaking last night and first thing this morning.  The batteries for the camer are on chaarge already....I just have to remember to take it.  LN....Utre tourista.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 17, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 16
Friday 17th August

Such a lovely day.  I decided to tidy the kitchen before I got the day rolling and realised that the water wasn't that warm and then it hit me.  The electricity had been off for about five hours yesterday and since my boiler is on a timer on the cheap hadn't yet come on.  Never mind.  There was enough for shower and shampoo at seven thirty and I was ready for eight thirty to set sail for Plovdiv with our newest interlopers.  Certain targets had been set and we hit every one of them...the store room for granite for worktops and  a warehouse that stocked really lovely cookers.  I was so tempted but it would mean that I have to reorganise my kitchen worktops and really CBA.  I'll manage with what I've got.  My translation skills came in useful.

So on to the old town and there are some really lovely buildings there,  Lots of work going on on the roads but we managed to find a parking spot and hoped to goodness that we could managed to find the car when our day was done.  We stopped for drinks, it was a really hot day in Plovdiv, and settled for glorified snacks instead of meals on on the way back found an ice-ream shop....medium portion of pistachio,  one of chocolate mint and the final one of something I can't remember.  We had to sit down to eat them and it was suggested that with one false step we could all end up looking like unicorns... :-/

Back into the car when we eventually found it and up in to the mountains where the temperature dropped immediately by ten degrees.  There were a couple of thunder claps, the road had dried out by the time we got to my mountain pit stop and despite threatening clouds, I had to water the garden tonight.  The zinnias were looking a little crispy.  Nothing on the agenda so far for tomorrow except that I must phone Bekir to get my wood sorted and to see if he can lay the tiles in the porch and finish off the windows.  I did managed to buy myself a present from the granite yard today....a very sad looking candle holder that needs a little love and attention and it will look really good.  Another job on the list.  LN....Maybe a trip to see Ms D of S tomorrow and swimming if the weather is good. ....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 18, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 17
Saturday 18th August

Seven start and down to the bread van this morning.   It was late and I was early so I sat on the bench for a while in the sun.  The daughter of one of my neighbours arrived and we chatted for a while and as she saw two women approaching she made a beeline for Zelinger's garden.  I recognised one of the  women so headed the same way and we waited for the van together giggling like naughty school kids.  The woman was the one that tried to get me to arrange a 'maestor' to design stairs for her house with not the slightest intention of having any built and not the wherewith all to pay for them.  I read and escaped that well.  

So to replace the bread...the last had developed green spots so over the wall t went for the animals.  One sliced and one normal and I came back and fried off bacon and an egg and made two very large sandwiches and slathered them with brown sauce as is my wont.....delicious..... and that's about the height of my activity for today.  It's been a hot sultry day, I did some filing and sorting of papers that had been left for a while, read for a while, played a few games but it was just too hot for outside work and exceptionally humid.  The other plan was to find a swimming pool but it never materialised so back to my meanderings.  I got my head down this afternoon for a while and even lost interest in the athletics from Birmingham which is unusual for me.  I reckon that I'd filled up my athletics coverage tank with the Europeans and was waiting for the next thing of interest to appear....and so far it hasn't.

At eight my time the weather suddenly changed,  The outside door closed itself, the wind got up and I mean really up so I was closing windows and taking doors out suspended position,  closing and locking them.  The sun went down and gave a very eerie light, there were a few thunder claps and I could see the rain coming over from Kardjali and my first thought was that I wouldn't have to water the garden or the pots.  Another job off the list.  We did have a short heavy shower and I'm not sure how much good it's done but I think it was enough to satisfy them overnight.  I'll top up in the morning.  

I'm not sure what's for supper so it's down to the kitchen to investigate the possibilities.  I've a full freezer and microwave so there must be something.  LN...On my way....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 19, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 18
Sunday 19th August

Seven start, coffee, sudoku, lazy morning in the garden digging out weeds by the old toilet block and trimming up the bushes growing along the long wall.  Toast for breakfast at eleven.  It would have been tuna mayo on yesterday's crusty bread but I was fresh out of mayo so settled for marmalade.  I went out to the garden again and carried on with the digging, changed tack and cur the rose back in the grave garden mainly to show the second flowering.  I also dug up a couple of red trumpet vines that have self rooted and now they're sitting in water to have a good drink before I pot them up tomorrow.

I came in at twelve thirty...the temperature was in the low thirties and I'd had enough.  I moved upstairs to lie on the bed for a while with the kindle and there was a knocking on the  window downstairs at two and my neighbours daughter had brought round a couple of somethings that I can't remember the name of.  They're not mekitzi or pancakes but more like a thick pancake...they're all getting ready for Byram and I better check on how many sweets I have, the children will be round tomorrow to fill up their bags.  I shall be given meat by the locals...share and share's why I give out Easter eggs and Christmas presents.

So the pancakes were covered in sugar and lemon juice and I sat and eat them while I did today's DM Sudoku...not record time but I did it.  I was out to the garden again and finished off the bed and watered the crispy offerings...poor flowers had to contend with hot sun and a blasting wind today.  Emptied the wheelbarrow at seven thirty and remembered to turn off the hose's easy to forget and end up with a stonking bill.

Not hungry after the two whatever they were, about to have a shower to cool down a little and freshen up before bedtime.  Phone calls and getting things organised tomorrow.  Beauty needs to go, I need to order my wood and get it put away.  I did meet my painter at the bread van yesterday and he's on standby for the stacking of the said winter life support and I might take a trip into Kardjali via Djebel to get the Baby cleaned.  LN....Achieved lots.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 20, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 19
Monday 20th August

Up before the sun this morning and sat on the terrace and watched it come up with a coffee in my hand. The wind was a bit brisk but it was a warm one so I got a small load of washing in and then for reasons unknown to myself...I set about cleaning the cooker and made a reasonable job of it.  The oven is next on the list but I ran out of steam.  More coffee and toast and Marmite for breakfast and looking round my crispy flower garden I set about watering the corners that I'd missed last night, finished off weeding the old toilet block bed and trimmed back the escallonia was broader than it was  high so I am trying to persuade it to go skywards.  I put the trimmings into a jar of water to give them a good start and tomorrow they'll be put in soil.  I also potted up the red tubular flower vine so I'll have three cuttings all being well for the bottom of the garden to ramble through the tall wall trees.

It's been a day of visitors.  The children arrived first, five of them all clutching their bags and smiling.  I hadn't managed to get into Djebel to buy new ones but I found a jar that I'd forgotten about and there were plenty for them.  Their bags were quite full already and it wasn't ten yet.  I had more mekitzi delivered at twelve, more at four and yet more at five.  It's very fortunate that you can put them in the freezer.

As for other shoulder was playing up and it hurt when I was using the fork to dig the red flower vine plant up so I gave up and have more or less convinced myself that I need another trip to the doctor and another x-ray  but this time on the shoulder.  The first was on the front when I believe the damage was done on the back.  So I didn't get into Djebel or Kardjali....I've had another lazy day.  As for starting to sort things's the first day of the holiday for most of the people that I want to spur into action so today's not the day to do it.  LN...I have more watering to do....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 21, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 20
Tuesday 21st August

Six start and up before the sun this morning.  Down for a coffee and on to my bedroom terrace to watch it come up.  It's a very peaceful time and not many birds around at the moment.  A few finches were scrumping from the sunflowers but very nervous when I got the camera pointed in that direction.  They obviously had easier pickings.  Down for more coffee and watered the terrace plants.  There was a dew overnight but not heavy enough to do any good so they really needed it.  Washed, dressed and didn't bother with breakfast, wrote a shopping list and phoned Gouldjan and asked if I could deliver the card for her German teacher that she'd left here the other day. She was at home and her sister and the boys were here for the holiday but didn't see her parents, they were busy with a very large cow....the sacrificial beast to the slaughter and this afternoon they probably spent butchering it, potting it and doing what ever else they do with it.  I shall get mine from it tomorrow...

I stopped off and had a word with Avatar on the way back...she leaves tomorrow and is off to Germany for the winter with her daughter-in-law.  It's all happening too quickly this year.  I headed into Kardjali and to the hospital and fortunately managed to park near the Polyclinic.  Unfortunately my doctor is on holiday but the nurse offered to get an English speaking doctor for me for tomorrow morning so that he can give me the once good is that.  She also wrote me out a prescription for some analgesics so straight round to the chemist for those.  Kaufland for shopping and I bought a Jigsaw...a real one for cutting wood and lots of goodies for the 'nibbles' box.  Hot-dog and chippies for lunch from the kiok, over to Lidl for a few more items, LPG for the Baby which came to twenty one lev and then to the garage to give her a wash and brush up.  I told the man that I bought it from to look used to be immaculate all the time...not so now.  Over to the garage shop and unfortunately my student's grandmother has had a happens to the best of us....but she's got her leg in plaster and now staying with them.  

Home for six, unpacked the car and I'm really pleased with some conifers that I bought in Kaufland.  They must be a foot tall and looking really healthy and should look good at the bottom of the garden.  Half seven my time...I put supper in the oven when I arrived back and my chicken wings with potatoes and onions should be just about ready.  So tomorrow doctors and then on to the swimming pool if the weather is good and Kindle fully charged and at the ready.  LN...I remembered the mayo....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 22, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 21
Wednesday 22nd August

Awake before the sky was even vaguely blue and pink but stayed in bed until six fifteen, down for coffee and then out on to my bedroom terrace.  It was a little chill out there this morning so I didn't stay long and dived into the shower, washed my hair and the intention was to be out and about by eight thirty and I was ready for eight.  I walked the garden, didn't bother with breakfast and in the car with my photo on the camera of the 'accident site' just in case I met a lawyer on the way.  I parked up in the square  for free near to where I usually pay for parking and had a gentle stroll to the Polyclinic.  The nurse called me in straightway and told me to wait and she went along the corridor and winkled out my English speaking doctor.  He looked rather like a Greek god with blond hair and spoke very precise English straight from the text book.  He examined my shoulder very thoroughly and I screeched at the right times enough for him to fill out the form and I was on my way to the hospital within walking distance and heading for the second floor.  I handed over my form to the receptionist and was asked to pay one leva for the e-ray.  I said that I was surprised how cheap it was and she reminded me that I was a pensioner and I thanked her.  So I received directions to the next receptionist that was equally pleasant and was told to find door number four along the corridor which I did.  There were a few of us waiting but after five minutes I was addressed in English by a young man inviting me to follow him and he took the x-ray.  He then asked me to take a seat and to wait  and then asked me to follow him 'where the doctor will carry out diagnostics'....and he did.  I think the said doctor didn't want to speak English so the technician said that nothing abnormal had been found on the x-ray and suggested that it might be a soft tissue injury and that's why I was having pain.  So back to the Polyclinic clutching my x-ray and the said doctor was again dragged from his surgery and other patients so attend to my needs.  He looked at the x-ray, said that there was lots of bruising to the bone, asked if I wanted physio which I refused.  I said I'd got a lawnmower and two dekera that was enough for me and a car with gears.  His final words were 'good luck with that', I thanked him for standing in for my doctor and headed back to the car and a little shopping stopping off at one of the small restaurants for banichka and yogurt drink.

Shopping over I headed for my swimming pool and was there early enough to get a couple of sunbeds one being under a large umbrella.  The wind was quite gusty and the small ones always seem to fall over. Not so pleasant today...there were groups of lads jumping in the pool and they were old enough to know better.  They were obviously from Turkey and over for the holiday and probably bored at home with the culling and bottling and I was amazed at how many of the youngsters were on their phones.  Free WiFi has a lot to answer for.  I'd had enough by four, got changed and headed into Lidl for more bottled water...I was down to half a bottle and home.  I put the swimming things into the washing machine along with other items, pegged them out and now finishing off in the bathroom.  Gouldjan was supposed to be here for seven and obviously ran out of time...she flies out tomorrow morning early and her brother is taking her to Sofia.  I picked the last of the cucumbers and took them over to Avatar and she's heading for Germany tomorrow....everybody is going somewhere.  The garden is watered and everything has had a good drink tonight ready for tomorrow's sunshine.  I think the little electric lawnmower is due for its first outing tomorrow...the grass needs doing and I'll see how it performs and then a little weeding.

Nine thirty my time and the swimming did the shoulder's not so painful tonight.  It's a home day tomorrow.  LN....Time for bed said Zeberdee.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 23, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 22
Thursday 23rd August

Bit of a sleepless night last night....I reckon I must have got bitten by some little critters at the pool yesterday and the suntan lotion proved to be and insulator...they nibbled I didn't feel it.  I was aware of scratching most of the night and was up at five thirty but settled down again..well sort of...and eventually made the first cup at six thirty.  I emptied the rubbish and had a was a beautiful morning  and having taken the garden fork down with me, I made use of it and cleared the weeds from around the walnut, under the wall and joined up the paths around the new beds at the bottom of the garden.  It wasn't the intention...I was going to clear by the bonfire and move the wood from the wall but I'll save that for another day.  

I'd thrown out the bread so was waiting for the van to beep but at eight thirty I thought I'd missed him.  I grabbed some money and headed out of the gate and then I heard him...he was really late this morning.  I met my Avatar at the gate and we walked down together and she asked for a got an unsliced loaf, I asked for the same and she'd got the last one.  We then had a tussle when she was trying to force the unsliced on me and me being me refused and this conversation went on for about twenty yards when she suddenly realised that she'd forgotten eggs so I went back with one leva of hers, she hadn't told me how many she wanted, so I held out my hand, he took more money and I had ten eggs.  Eventually we settled that she would have four and I'd keep the rest...the joys of country living.

Poached eggs and ham on toast and after that it was a lazy morning.  I'd watered a few of the flower beds and the pots but that was about the height of the exercise.  I moved upstairs, lay on the bed playing Soda Crush and the next thing I was waking up at twelve and by this time it was too hot to do anything else.  e-mails and FB and then I looked at the lawn...and it's now done but with the biggie not the new electric.  So tomorrow it's the strimmer to finish off the job.  Showered and feet were black and now I need to dry my hair.  It was so dusty out there and whenever I emptied the box over the wall, the wind brought it back again and it stuck to the sweat on my furrowed brow.  I must have looked like Worzel Gummidge but now I'm all clean again.

No pickies today...I've been far too busy but I do have stripes on the lawn.  My Avatar's washing line has been full most of the day....she's flying tonight and I shall miss her.  LN...She'll be back next year....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 24, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 23
Friday 24th August

Another itchy night despite my shower last night and I think I'm putting it down to a change of washing powder.  There are too many bumps for insect bites.  Five start, a few games and then back off again until seven.  I didn't need bread so I was out watering the garden again and I've only just finished watering again's been a warm one today.  Ham sandwiches for breakfast out on the terrace and my plan for today was scuppered, the electricity was off for about an hour and a half and then it was too hot to go out strimming.

Instead I cleaned out Beauty, put the charger on it and fingers crossed it will be gone by the weekend...even it I have to pay for a trailer to get it down to the garage.It felt quite sad getting it in again and I realised how decrepit it looks now that I have the new Baby but it served me well.  I left it on charge for the rest of the day and checked it I pumped up the one tyre that I could see that needed it and the others will be done when I can get to is right up against the bed under the wall.  I also put in a Japonica kerria down the garden against the wall and watered it in well and then turned my attention to the very spiky bush that's self set in the bottom left corner.  I've cut it right back and thrown it over the wall and intend to dig it out but not yet.  I also took out some very healthy weeds and the strimmer was going to finish it off...another day.

I had a little sleep this afternoon and felt much better for it and refreshed I did a little more in the garden and turned my attention to the workshop and refolded the polythene that had been dumped in there, sorted out the tools and tomorrow I'm going to remove the concrete blocks that I used last year to keep the wood stacked only this year I'm going to use the back wall for my wood.  It's on order and I want it before my September guest arrives because then I'm in to October when Princess comes out.  So everything had a good drowning tonight...I don't think that there's going to be much of a dew drop tonight.  No food required tonight...aghhh...maybe some peanuts.  LN...Time for shut down....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 25, 2018, 6:03pm; Reply: 24
Saturday 25th August

So seven start this morning and I'm now convinced that I have prickly heat from the pool the other day.  Probably exposed a little too much or stayed out there too long....and you never know if the tablets that I've been taking made me a little sensitive.  I'd also worked in the garden the day after swimming and done the lawn raising quite a head of steam so that had probably intensified it.   And that's all from the home doctor... ;) ;)

Coffee on the terrace and I'd taken my camera out with me and suddenly there was a cacophony....the martins were back and swarming round the only nest that I have under the eaves of the little house.  I don't know what's of interest there...the nest has been abandoned after two hatchings but maybe it's a swan song...I guess they're off soon and just saying goodbye until next.  The bread van was late this morning and some of the old dears couldn't decide what they wanted making him even later....he asked me if I wanted cheesy bread so I said that I did and an uncut and while the lady was making her mind up I was processed and fully paid up.  I said cheerio to the others, took my cheesy bread on to the terrace with a coffee and that was breakfast sorted.  Unfortunately...more like a sweet bread than a cheesy bread so the birds had most of it but it was enough to get me going in the garden.

I planted up the cuttings of the escalonia, trimmed the lavender so I can now get down the steps to the garden without a swerve to the right and the next job is to string it up.  I've still got last years to process and remove from the's still in the little house bathroom so that's my first job tomorrow but I need to find a face mask first to stop the dust irritating my lungs.  I came in at eleven thirty and meandered around playing games and at one made lunch, lay on the sofa and got my head down.  It was much too hot out there to do anything else.  I went out again at five and trimmed the bush along the wall near to the acacia and the large berberis ...the berberis is now visible against the hedge line....before that there was no contrast.  I also took down most of the rose and found a very healthy forsythia so that should give it much more light.  I've also cleared most of the couch grass from the little side was really going rampant.  Everything watered and I didn't come in until eight and just caught sight of the the evening sky.

More pottering tomorrow.  I'm making my list for Monday...maybe MOT Baby and pay my yearly fee for the worrying about when it's due.  LN...A little 'Night at the Proms' ...LN

Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 26, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 25
Sunday 26th August

So last night I became an insomniac... it started off by watching the Proms Leonard Bernstein hundredth anniversary performance and then the second programme detailing the writing of West Side Story and the history behind it.  That programme went on until two this morning, went to bed, not an ounce of sleep in me and it was four before I eventually closed down and went off to the land of nod.  The upshot was that it was eight before I came back to the world and it was a pretty slow start.  I had toast and Marmite for breakfast just to full the gap , cleared up the kitchen and headed out to have a bonfire and get rid of the dross.  The rest of the day was gardening, watering and digging more weeds out of the area of the walnut tree.  It's very stony down there since this is where the building rubbish had been dumped but at last it's getting into shape.  

As the temperature rose I decided that inside was best.  This prickly heat is irritated by the sweat glands so it was a coldish shower and a change of clothing and an afternoon of sleep, sudoku and triathlon and by this time it had clouded over.  There were rumbles of thunder which amounted to nothing and I think it will be a thorough watering in the morning...I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping for a downpour.

I've cooked spicy sausage with onion and a little chilli and that was supper over and done with...well almost.  I finished it off with ice-cream and that should see me through until the morning.  Tomorrow's list is finished and I shall be putting it into action fairly early.  It's market day in Djebel and you have to go early to get a parking place.  LN...Early night for me then....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 27, 2018, 6:07pm; Reply: 26
Monday 27th August

Six thirty start, watched the dawn and eventually made my coffee...I was slow this morning.  There was a cool breeze and there was quite a mist hanging in the valley on the mountains opposite.  I got dressed for Kardjali...I had my list ready and I'm pleased to say that the major items were completed.  

I stopped off at the car parts shop and had a few minutes with my student's mum and further more managed to park outside the shop...wonder of wonders for a Monday.  Next stop ws to the bankomat and it amazes me that technology has arrived and the simplest things they leave to others.  The bank manager came out and helped one old lady get her pension out, he took the card and the pin from her, did all the input, removed the card and the receipt from the machine but made sure that she removed the money....self protection and all that.  The next in the queue were three ladies with one card but it took three of the to negotiate the questions and answers and eventually they toddled off and I was in and out in quick sticks.  My first stop was to the Internet shop and I paid up front for twelve months explaining that I have visitors for September and October and wanted it off my brain which now it is.  

I carried on to Kardjali and into my cheapy shop picking up an autumn cropped sweatshirt for the princely sum of fifty one stotinki, back to the car park, Kaufland for a quick spin and lunch from the kiosk finishing off at Lidl for a few more things including a four kilogram sledge hammer that I'd missed last year and carried on to the garage to get the Baby MOT'd.  The garage owner was there which was a surprise for me, normally I have the lad and we discussed England and his visit with the camper van and he said that he was depressed by the economy of Bulgaria and he's right.  The young are all leaving for the streets paved with gold in the rest of Europe....Bulgaria is emptying.... it needs more investment but until they get the backhanders under control, there are not many investors.  The Baby sailed through its MOT and he said that it was an excellent car....that's nice to know.

So back home for three thirty,  stopping briefly on the roadside to take some cuttings from a beautiful pyracantha that was covered with amazing berries.  I'd driven passed it several times and promised myself that I would pull off the road and so I did.  They're now sitting in water and it will be my first job tomorrow.  I had to struggle to get the two pots of ice-cream stashed in the freezer so I had to finish the remains of the one that I took out and everything else got put away.  I took to the sofa with a bottle of water and a antihistamine tablet to stop the itching and it promptly put me to sleep for an hour or so but I felt much better for it.  It's gone really full again, thunder and rain was threatened but nothing has arrived yet...maybe later.  No supper required again....the lunch has worked its magic.  LN....Home base day tomorrow...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 28, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 27
Tuesday 28th August

Bit of a disjointed sleep...woke up with the  light still on and my tablet playing games with a quick lights out and back to the land of nod.  Six thirty this morning and it was a cool one with the wind whistling through the open door to goodness knows where but it was still very pleasant.  Coffee and back to bed, I toyed with washing the dishes and gave that idea up before it took root.  The sheep were out early this morning and the two dogs were playing with each other.  I'd thrown a couple of loaves out for the dogs and they'd certainly found them.  The one was clutching half a loaf and the second one was trying to persuade the other one to give it up but very little chance of that.  There was other bread around...I'm never sure why somebody else's is always's the same with the birds especially in winter time.

So toast and marmalade for breakfast, I went out and watered the pots and potted up the cutting that I'd taken from my journey back yesterday.  I decided that all cuttings should go in blue water containers so made another one out of one of the large water bottles and sprayed it with blue paint.  So now I have three on the go, forsythia, escallonia and cotoneaster.  The hypericom has yet to be done.  Today was another bitza day.  I decided that the first aid box had to be sorted and is now in a plastic box not a shoe box, the plants were all watered upstairs and down and the acquired rubbish in the bathroom, odd pots of old creams etc has all been binned.  I seem to get this way when I've got visitors coming and seem to see it with fresh eyes.

Lazy afternoon with a sleep thrown into the mix and at four I was out there with the garden hose and didn't come in until I heard the telephone going and tomorrow, I have Bekir and Sally back to start on the floor laying in the porch and to get the windows put in properly.  I also want them to make changes to the stairs but that might be after my next visitor leaves and the new ones arrive.  I feel and 'in box exercise' about to occur.  I've picked at food all day so not in to cooking tonight....I'll have an early start to fetch the men and we'll breakfast later.  I suppose tomorrow will be a day of working out materials and getting them in...the Beast will come into play....Baby has to keep smart...not a workhorse like Beauty.  

So despite the threatening of rain in the afternoon, nothing has fallen from the sky and it turned into a very beautiful sunset.  LN....Time to start work....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 29, 2018, 6:58pm; Reply: 28
Wednesday 29th August

Watched too much television last night and played games well into the  bewitching hour and the consequence was that I was awake at five, made myself go off again didn't wake up until seven forty.  Now in the grand scheme of things that wouldn't have been so bad but I'd arrange to pick up the men at eight in their village, washed dressed, out into the Baby and foot down foregoing coffee and got there for eight ten.  Not a bad result.  They were waiting for me and it was hugs all round, I hand't seen Sally since last year and it was good to have them back.  Driving back there was a fully noise that appeared to be emanating from the radio but it seemed to be working in sync with the accelerating and braking so I wasn't sure with this car being new to me.  There were no warning lights on the dashboard and the temperature was normal so I carried on and we arrived home safely.  

First job for me was to clear the table in the little house that they use for a base and then we set about creating a list of requirements and clearing the porch.  They knew what they had to do and spent about half an hour working out the best way to do it and having set the plan, I headed into Djebel in the Beast to get the materials.  The Baby unlike Beauty was never was never bought to carry cement and the likes.  I popped into the car shop and mentioned my concerns to the owners wife and my student was there after his travels to Poland and he'd remembered me,,,,I have a new fridge magnet... ;)  Everything purchased and we headed home, unloaded the Beast and I drove into Djebel with Baby and waited at the garage for the car to be looked at.  The brother I'd purchased it came over, I explained the problem and thought it might be coming from the radio while it was searching for a signal and his eyes lit up.  I'd hit the nail on the head.  The garage owner gave me a hug, we all smiled about it and off I went home with the radio turned off.  There's just a dead spot in the signal between my house and the men's village...and now I know.

The men got started on finishing the window installation which means they were removing the yellow foam that keeps the window in place and substituting polystyrene insulation.  Slow but masters work not quick as the Bulgarian saying goes but at least I know it's going to be done properly and the windows will not leak.  I pottered around and set about clearing out the woodstore ready for the new supplies and now you can bring on the wood to set me up for winter.

They had their lunch and I found jobs to do like repotting one of my plants that is throwing out yellow leaves through too much nitrogen...and countered this by using the rotted down leaf mould from the base of my two large trees in the yard.  Fingers crossed it will do the trick.  At five thirty they were ready to leave, I picked up a recipe for beeswax polish for Ms D of S and arrived to be hugged by a little one and received an invite to stay for supper which was really appreciated.  We had supper and sat in the conservatory after the little one had gone to bed and hence this is why the update is late.

Same again tomorrow only this time  I hope I will have a better night and be up a little earlier.  LN...Good to have the men back....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 30, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 29
Thursday 30th August

Six thirty start so a lovely start for the day.  I didn't have to set off until seven forty so I had time to have my coffee, take in the morning and do everything in a leisurely fashion.  Just as mornings should be.  Over to pick up the men and I was there as the clock on the radio struck the appointed hour, they were ready and fully ensconced ready to start the day.

A lot has been achieved, Sally set to on finishing the gaps round the window and I only had to make one trip to get more of the filling material from Djebel but that tied in nicely with me having to go and fill up with gas.  I've been pointed int he direction of the garage in Kardjali so that's where I headed but stopping on the way in Djebel to buy the stuff that was needed and I would pick it up on the way back which I did.  I stopped off for a packet of biscuits in Djebel and the lady from the hardware shop said that I would get fat eating those so I offered her one and she accepted and I said that we'd get fat was a nice little smile moment.  I got back to find that Bekir was mixing cement and he explained that the existing floor in the conservatory had a fall on it which meant that the water wouldn't hang around the house in the days before the conservatory.  He said that he was going to put a skim on the floor to make it easier to lay the tiles and using much less on the material for laying them.  It was a plan Batman and I left them to it...they were both working in unison and tomorrow the outside should be finished. the tiles laid and just the internal tidying up to do.  Not bad for three day's work.

My day has been spent gardening and I got torn to pieces by the wild rose that seems to have infested my little top garden next to the wall.  Eventually I cut it down to size, cleared the grass and the rest of the weeds and that's one more or less done.  I moved on to the veg garden and decided that my carrots life was over.  I'd put lots of seed in and only one had germinated and boy had it grown.  So in with the fork, it had gone down by about a foot and it looked like a carrot and smelled like a carrot but as I carried it to the men to show them, I turned it over and it had out grown itself and spilt down the back.  It is now in the men's village and will be fed to Bekir's hasn't gone to waste.

Bekir had mixed too much concrete and was left with a wheelbarrow full of the stuff so now I have another large step on the little house terrace near to where the outside sink is to be  located.  Photos were duly taken but for the life of me I can't find the camera.  I went visiting after I dropped the men off and came home in the dark again....I'll bore you with them tomorrow.  LN...Late posting and only words...sorry....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, August 31, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 30
Friday 31st August

Again a six thirty start and I was pleased to wake up...I had one of those dreams that you want to come out of and just can't.  It was a leisurely wash and dress putting on the same jeans from yesterday but with a clean t-shirt and I remembered to apply deodorant...the days are long and hot and there's work to do.  I met my bread wagon along the road so stopped and got fresh bread and a cheesy bun and that was my breakfast.  As I brought the men back he was in the next village and I stopped him and got breakfast for the treat for the day.  So made them coffee to go with breakfast and I sat out on the terrace and enjoyed mine...well most of it...the birds got the rest.  So Bekir's challenge was to find a piece of kit for applying the tile cement and bearing in mind that we'd not used it for seven years I was at a loss at to where it was.  I rarely throw anything away that looks vaguely like it is a special piece of kit so after searching for ten minutes, the next option was to drive into Djebel and buy a new on...CBA on the search front and I was looking for it on and off all day and didn't managed to find it but at least work was getting done.  We had a con-flab about how the tiles had to be laid.  It's an old house and nothing is really straight but we do what we can and now they're down and they'll do...the only outstanding bit is how we match up with existing hall tiles but I'll give it some thought over the weekend.  So outside is more or less complete apart from the window sill tiles...but we're getting there.

So Kardjali tomorrow for another ten tiles...the floor area was calculated but not the surrounds.  I think that Bekir thought thee was more left from the bathroom ..just need another ten.  I'm heading out now to water the garden...I've finished tidying now they're back home, the yard is cleared and I've put the tools away that they left out.  Pork chops with barbecue sauce are in the oven with potato wedges and they should be ready in about ten so time to post pickies.  LN....We've had a good day....LN
Print page generated: July 4, 2020, 11:46am