Print Topic - Archive

Elsa Peters living a new life in Bulgaria  /  My Diary by Elsa Peters  /  JANUARY 2019
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 1, 2019, 5:17pm
Tuesday 1st January

So I've just typed up the first message of the year and it's gone off into the ether and not posted.  Is this a portent of what's to come?...I hope not so let's try again.

Sleepless night and I was opening windows at silly o'clock to get some air into the room unlike BG where you want to keep the hot air in and the cold air out.  I eventually got off again and woke up to a really pleasant morning and I sun full of promise.  It stayed around for a while but no sign of it later in the day not that I saw a lot of it.  Long leisurely bath this morning and washed my hair and this time I didn't use Badedas in the bath so I rinsed out the shampoo completely and haven't ended up with sticky hair.  Breakfast of toasted fruit loaf which has sustained me for the rest of the day apart from the packet of sugar loaded Squashies Drumsticks that I've just finished and I've an idea that this could be supper unless I go on the hunt.  We had fish and chips last night at A's house and I came back with a carton of chips that were just too much for us to get through with the idea that I would make them into a Spanish omelette today and that's going to happen isn't it.  Our local fox should do well tonight.

Again it's short and sweet.  The New Year is here and now I'm in to planning what to take with me when I go home and if I have to book a bag for the flight home.  Decisions, decisions.  I've also spent the day looking at late availability cruises so I might be back since they all take off from the UK.  So now to plan the night's viewing on the tv and to attack the contents of the freezer that my host thought was going to last a little longer that day one of the new year.

LN....I'm on the scavenge....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 1, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 1
Pickies from today...
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 2, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 2
Wednesday 2nd January

So last night I was still sorting out the records for my host's previous generations until one thirty this morning and took to my virtuous pit at just after that with a box of Belgium chocolates....a present from my grandson.  I did ration them out and had only three...they were so soft and squidgy...but the second layer is still complete...they should do me until the end of the holiday.  The box of Quality Street still lives to fight another day.  

I woke up at seven twenty, started on Soda Crush and managed to achieve the one that had held me up for a few hours on and off and managed to knock off two more until I'd had enough closing off my Kindle with 'lives' to go.  That's a nice feeling.  Down for a bacon and egg sandwich, I'd chosen the bread from Lidl but I've been popping seeds from it all day even after cleaning my teeth.  That'll teach me.  I tidied up the lounge and got rid of the recyclable stuff and it took me a while since I'm not used to it.  I don't recycle I burn and the vapours lift off onto the hillside and get blown away with the breeze.  I think the neighbours here would throw a wobbly and be dialing for the emergency services if I tried it here.  Lightweights.  

So today I've confirmed the dates of births, deaths and marriages on the genealogy notes from other members of my host's family and charted it up so that you can see who's who and who's with whom.  They started off in Scotland in the eighteen hundreds, some moved to Sunderland and the rest to Worcester but the Sunderland branch made contact and couldn't work out how they were related.  This system of naming the first after the father means that everybody seemed to have a William and a George, etc and it can get very confusing.  I've been using a couple of programs and I've now confirmed that the family came from the same 'many great' grandfathers and two brothers went their separate ways.  In fact seven brothers and sisters went their separate ways and I've logged some of them...others can remain unlocked...the main thing is that I've proved the mutual ground between two of them and my host is ready to spread the good tidings to the rest of the clan.  Clever old me... ;)  I do enjoy it and I blame my autumn guest for leading me into the path of genealogy....thanks P.

The telephone today has been a hot line to BT with lots of incoming calls saying that we had a problem with the internet.  We don't....I think they're trying to sell in a different service so in a fit of pique I asked him for their company number so that I could complain and he gave it to me...strange.  Both kiddiwinkles are back at work and Princess is complaining that she has to get used to the lack of chocolates on the desk and non-alcoholic drinks and my son was deep in paperwork...first day 'sort outs'...I remember them well.

The weather has been dull and lifeless again...please, please send me some good stuff....I've had enough of it for now.  I've just check out the weather for BG....three degrees and raining, turning to snow overnight and continuing for tomorrow and Friday and a yellow warning for wind.  Better get the Rennies ready.  LN....I'm on the hunt for supper....LN

Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 3, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 3
Thursday 3rd January

So I stayed up last night again until silly o'clock trying to track down the many great grandparents' birth dates and to no avail.  I have a couple of potentials but no firm proof so to date they stay on the chart with only a marriage entry to support their existence.  I took to my bed at two, started playing Soda Crush and knocked off about three games without much effort and I had to call a stop to the evening/early morning entertainment....I shut if down and closed my eyes and off to the land of nod.  It was an eight thirty start, another grey day so the promise of a new shiny year had evaporated already.

Eventually we managed to get down to omelettes for breakfast and I decided that George, the giraffe with a voice box message recorded by my grandson when he was five years of age, had to go for remedial treatment.  it only clicked and did nothing else.  Two years ago the old message had been salvaged and recorded on to a new voice box and my grandson is the proud possessor of the original and it was to him that I turned for help. Apparently it's up in the loft somewhere so I told him to leave it for a while and we headed in to Brighton on the trusty red bus and dropped off in Churchill Square and I headed for the Bear Factory with George stuffed in my shoulder bad.  So into the shop and the assistant said that they could do nothing....'we're not engineers'....and I explained that this time it had only lasted two years where the last one lasted ten.  She replied that the voice box had obviously been pressed too much and the device was worn out.  I explained that I lived in Bulgaria and George was resident in GB and her response was that it hadn't been pressed enough.  She did advise that I got him to re-record the message of 'Happy Cristhmas (with a lisp), nanny I love you' but I said that to get the same tone of voice in a nineteen year old would take a bottle of vodka and a helium balloon.  She didn't see the humour and considering she works in a Bear Factory maybe she should choose another vocation,  

Onwards and upwards and we made it to Poundland and I managed to buy some more telephone and data charging cables for one pound each...good value and they're different colours so that I can keep one for each device.  While in the shop, coming down the stairs was the store manager and we looked at each other and realised that our history went back a few years.  He used to be an assistant manager when I worked for a supermarket company and we were really surprised to see, and recognise each other.  So the old names came out and I mentioned that I new several of the oldies on FB, he said I hadn't changed in thirty odd years so I suggested he went to SpecSavers for a checkup.  He's going to message me on FB for a real catch-up.  Back on the bus and home for five, pot roast beef, roasties, swede and carrots for supper and it's going to be followed any minute now by a lemon cheese cake.  

Early night for me...the genealogy is put to bed except for copying it out on A3 so that it's easy to follow the lines.  I can do the rest back in BG when the snow is falling and the nights grow long.  My latest weather report is that it's very windy, cold and it's snowing so I suggested to Ms D of S to get back inside, put on a sweater and take a couple of Rennies to sort her out.  Just my little joke.  LN...I'm heading for the cheesecake and sofa.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 4, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 4
Friday 4th January

What a performance last night with the Kindle Fire.....for some reason Facebook has now deemed that it will not allow messenger to be run through it and that perpetual loop I found myself in has stayed the same all day.  This morning I checked out my other machine and that has successfully updated and Messenger seems to be working OK.  One out of two isn't bad I suppose and I'll soon have all the time in the world to get it sorted.  Up and about by seven thirty, Marmite on toast for breakfast, emptied the dishwasher as my contribution to morning and sorted out the clothes that I want to leave and packed the rest.  I somehow have to make space for my presents both given to me and those I'm taking back.  I settled in to write up the family chart for my host and it's finished more or less.  There are still people to investigate but that's putting the finishing touches to it but the link is proved between the two branches of the family.  I worked on it until four and at five we set off for A's house to say cheerio and to enjoy a curry supper from the local curry shop,  We arrived at six more or less, the order was placed and by seven we were sitting down to supper and it was my first Chicken Dhansak for a year  and it went down well,  Poppadoms abounded and it was followed by a strawberry cheesecake....rude to refuse.

I washed and dried up and sorted things out....she's having a bit of an issue with mobility so every little helps.  We sat around talking and generally chewing over the fat and at nine thirty we said fond farewells.  She has been out to stay with me in the early days and it would be good to see her out again but currently she couldn't manage it.  Maybe next year.  Lunch out with the family tomorrow, the restaurant is booked for one.  LN...Time for bed...I'm knacked....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 5, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 5
Saturday 5th January

So today I've had the feeling that it's been Sunday all day not Saturday and I'm pleased that I've increased my packing time and have all day tomorrow to get the final stuff in that little case that seems to be getting smaller all the time.  Seven thirty start and I headed for the bath and washed my hair so that I would look presentable for the family get together.  I lingered longer than anticipated and could willingly have nodded off in there but instead knocked off about three chapters of Game of Thrones.  I dried my hair and it looked OK, was intending to wear it loose but instead ended up coiling it up out of the way, eventually decided what I was going to wear and was ready for twelve.  I had time to kill so went back on to investigating the other side of my host's family and managed to find one of his uncles and his family which adds to the list of people that he knew nothing of.  It's fun when that happens and I was hot on the trail and had to put it to bed and head off to the pub for lunch.

Princess and her family were already there and they'd found us a cul de sac table for the nine of us so we settled in to wait for my son and his family.  They eventually arrived about one fifteen, hugs all round for everyone and then the menus came out.  Most of us settled for the carvery, the boys went big and I even struggled with the standard.  I think my grandson had the worst of the deal, he'd chosen a baguette which seemed to take ages to prepare but he'd brought his origami kit along and was quite happy to be making oriental birds to perch on the glasses.  At nine years of age...I was impressed.  Having said that, he ordered a bottomless all you could eat ice-cream, so sister had the first top up, the second seemed to get passed round the table and the third was back to my grandson and my dessert.  We handed presents out and I had a very nice cotton throw and I think it's going to have to stay here until I come over next time....I'm not going to be able to get it back in my hand luggage.  Princess had a unicorn lamp that she has decided would fit perfectly on her office appears to be her trademark.  Out on to the car park and again it was a hug fest,  my daughter and family heading home for an afternoon on the sofa and my son and family heading down to the beach for a look at the sea.  We stopped off in the village on the way back....the lottery ticket I'd bought the first week I was here had won a lucky dip free ticket so let's keep fingers crossed for tonight's draw.  

Home for four thirty more or less and sang my way through the score of Oliver showing on the television, fell asleep when it ended and felt guilty that I'd left my update this late.  Nothing fixed for tomorrow but I might try and get in one final visit to church tomorrow night...they don't have my church in BG.  Update from home, the temperature is very low and the roads very icy but only two centimeters or so of snow.  Let's hope it stays that way so that I can get back to the village safely and get myself installed.  No supper required, stuffed to the gills, only two more sleeps or one and a half, the taxi will be here for about four on Monday morning.  LN...My bed is calling...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 6, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 6
Sunday 6th January

Late to bed but up by seven thirty and I don't seem to have stopped all day.  I did contact Easyjet about getting a bag booked to save me carrying my luggage but it turned out that it would have cost me almost thirty five pounds for a single trip and I'm still able to carry it.  What she did notice was that my boarding pass was made out in the name of Mr so she changed it for me and I noticed that the incoming flight was in the same gender,  Maybe nobody dare say anything in the era of gender fluidity but on the other hand I didn't get any strange looks from the personnel along the way.  So I had to print out another boarding pass so they might think I came over for the operation... ;D ;D

I decided to check the lucky dip ticket that I'd obtained from a win the first week I was here and joy oh joy....I've won thirty pounds....perhaps my luck is changing.  So packing complete....incomplete...complete....and I think I'm there.  They can do what they like with me at the boarding gate...CBA...if they charge me because the bag is two centimeters over in the depth of the bag....I'll open it and put some more clothes on.  I spent the afternoon still looking at the female line of my host's family and got back another couple of generations.  I shall be doing a bit of research when I get home but not telling anybody about it.  The other side of the family are doing their own research but we set about it with different objectives.  Oh dear.

Bedtime for me....I've missed 'who wants to be a millionaire' so now I might as well get my head down for a few hours,  The taxi is booked for four a.m, my daughter has sent me the news that it's about minus three when I arrive at lunch-time tomorrow so winter has come John Snow.  I'll check in when I'm back providing my trusty steed is primed and awaiting ....I should be home by five thirty.  I have this horrible feeling though that if the snow has fallen, I have to dig out the water meter outside and turn it on so that I've got water inside the house.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it and a new phrase I heard over the holiday is...'Build a bridge and get over it'...seems very appropriate in the present climate.  Just about to finish the carrot cake before I dim the lights.  LN...Wish me luck...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 7, 2019, 6:24pm; Reply: 7
Monday 7th January

I'm's been a  long day and it's going to be a cold night but hey...things can only get warmer ;)..

Three thirty start this morning and it was a host was up and making coffee for me and actually stayed compus mentis until I'd left in the taxi.  As for nicking the silver there's none to nick so  he wasn't worried about that.  Safe and steady journey to the airport...the taxi driver was Romanian and he was slagging off the mafia in his own country and my lips were sealed....nothing to add.  The flight was on time, it was very full and there was no issue with any bags having to be put into the hold..The flight in charge was very humorous making light of his announcements which the English appreciated but totally lost on the Bulgarians.    I think he's seen the you tube video and I think it's on American Airlines...very funny and I did need help lifting my suitcase up into the overheads from a swarthy male but when the flight attendant was asked for help, he asked what was in it and she replied chocolate.  My swarthy man just did the job I asked him to without back chat.

Minus five when we landed and unfortunately we were the third flight in so the delay at the 'incoming' meant that there wasn't a snowball in hell's chance of me making the earlier bus so I settled for the one o'clock.  I tried reading but the words started to get jumbled so it was down with the Kindle and I must have slept almost to the coffee stop...a real catch  up.  Kardjali for four thirty and I decided to take a taxi on to Djebel...I didn't fancy waiting around for a bus...I had some settling in to do.  My carriage was ready and primed for action  outside the car shop so I had to go in and have five minutes with my student's mother to catch up on things.  She said that it was minus twelve last night and I think we are heading for the same.  It is  cold.  I headed to the supermarket for bread and a couple of spicy sausages so that I would have something quick and easy to cook.  The drive back was fun...the main roads were clear but when I turned off on my village road, it was sheet ice under a layer of snow.  I had one skid, corrected it and followed it closely with a second so I dropped it into second gear and after that everything was.  I negotiated the gate, got the Beast into the drive, turned the water on outside, unlocked the house, lit the fire, lost the car keys so checked where I'd been kneeling down to turn the water on and there they were there.

The house was six degrees when I checked the thermometer, it's now gone up to nine , the radiators are heaving and the boiler is on for hot water and the timer reset.  I've cooked supper and eaten it watching The Chase, my extra quilt is warming by the woodburner along with my feather pillow and it won't be long before I'm getting cosied up in my 'nest'.  I don't thin there's much danger of getting undressed tonight...but I will take my boots off.  

There's a little bit of snow falling, I need some eggs from the van tomorrow if he turns up.  It will be good to see my ladies again.  I'm too cold on the upstairs landing so heading down to the fire.  LN..Fingers crossed for a peaceful night...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 8, 2019, 4:18pm; Reply: 8
Tuesday 8th January

I managed to sleep through until seven thirty...what a surprise but with the amount of clothes I had on to go to sleep in, it was probably the weight of the clothes that held me down.  The fire was still going so it was back to basics, ash can emptied, starter wood to get it going sooner and I had a blaze.  I boiled the kettle and made my first cup of coffee and took my Christmas decorations down.  I went to fill the kettle to made my second cup and surprise, surprise, there was no water in the system so it was emergency procedures brought into play...I went out and turned off the water at the supply just in case the frozen pipe was in the roof.  I checked the outside thermostat and it was down to minus seventeen, there was ice on the inside of the conservatory windows nearest the door and I went inside for my first cup of coffee.

Haciber was my first visitor and she said that she had water to the outside tap but not inside but I was welcome to fill a bottle should I need to.  She sat down for a while, told me the news about her son and daughter in law, updated me on the ladies of the village and didn't know if the bread van would be here or not.  I happened to mention that I only wanted eggs and left it at that.  My next visitor was the daughter from one of the other ladies in the village and she looked at my in supply for the water and said that there wasn't enough insulation and off she went and ten minutes later she came back with a bag of hay for me to stuff down the hole in the ground.  My further instruction was to put some warm but not hot water on the pipe after about an hour and so I settled down to a bit of Soda Crush.  I went back to unpacking my suitcase, put the perfume gift box back together and filled it with the perfume and hand cream and even put the plastic sleeve over the box.  You'd never know that I't taken it apart for transporting it.  Back to the water, removed the hat, turned on the supply to the house, poured the warm water over the pipe, there was a gurgle so I went back inside the house....all restored.  I returned to the hole, stuffed the hay back in in its bag, put the insulation back round it and fingers crossed it should be alright tomorrow.  We have another cold night coming up... :-/ :-/

I went down the lane to tell my hay deliverer that everything was OK and stopped for a cup of coffee.  By the time I got back the egg fairy had been and left me a croissant breakfast, a pair of socks and a bar of soap and at this point in time I'm not sure who the good fairy is.  I'll find out at the bread van tomorrow.  Log baskets filled, fire chugging away and will be all night, spent some of the afternoon sitting on the sofa in the sun reading my Kindle and the rest of the day pottering.  I cleaned off the terrace but the snow is so powdery that it was difficult to move and cleared the yard and up to the wood store.  The sun didn't melt stayed on minus temperatures all day.  

The curtain is drawn over the stairwell and I'm about to set up the laptop so that I can watch TV's much too cold on the landing.  I'll be having my bath in the morning and I'm looking forward to it.  I think it's beans on toast for supper...I need comfort food.  LN...I'm kitchen bound...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 9, 2019, 4:28pm; Reply: 9
Wednesday 9th January

It was on and off napping on the sofa last night until I took to my bed but the Fitbit said that I'd had eight hours sleep...that's the best I've achieved in ages.  Same again please.   Fire still going, wood enough to last for a time, ashes out, coffee, the water was still flowing....everything is almost back to normal except that with the very low temperatures it's the devil's own game to get the bricks and mortar warmed but but I think I'm getting there.  At close of play tonight I've finished up at plus sixteen but I have lit the little wood burner in the kitchen this afternoon to help it on it's way.  Washed and dressed and it's all about putting on another layer and not disturbing too much of existing while the house is cold.  The bathroom is OK...the radiator is only small but very effective so I maybe linger longer there than other parts of the house.

Out came the cooking bacon from the freezer.  I'd decided that I was going to make lentil soup for supper and bacon and eggs for breakfast with fried bread...back into the swing of things.  I heard a car horn outside and thought it was the bread van but I was was the animal feed lorry.  Beyser had also got it wrong but at least I found out who delivered the eggs and the rest of the goodies yesterday so I thanked her, we had a little chat partly because she only speaks Turkish but we get there.  I went back home, walked the garden,  fried off the bacon and an onion and got the soup underway, cooked breakfast and as I was sitting down to it I heard the van so left the food and went down to fetch new bread and more eggs.  Most of the ladies were there so we had a few hugs and on the way back I was invited with the rest of the ladies for coffee at the house that I visited yesterday morning.  I went back and finished my breakfast and headed down the road and met up with the other ladies.  Boots off, coffee, biscuits, oven roasted pumpkin and cheese puffs so I settled for the coffee.  No matter what they do to it I really can't take to the pumpkin.  The television was on so I had a diversion from the hour of Turkish banter.  Some of it was translated for my benefit but basically I get most of the body language.

At one we headed home and it had just started to snow and it's been gently falling all day and still is.  I did have one request for help.  Beyser had lost the key to her daughter-in law's padlock on the gate and I was presented with a pair of pliers to break through the chain...and no could do so I told them to hang on and I went back for my bot cutters and no messing around...I was through in quicksticks and they thing there is very little that beats me.  If only they knew. ;) ;)

It's been a lazy afternoon.  I did fill up the log carrier and topped up where necessary, both fires are going well and it really does make a difference with the kitchen one helping out.  The snow is still coming down, I blended the soul and had it with toast, washed everything up and tidied the kitchen so that it's ready for tomorrow.  I still have another couple of portions of the soup left so I shall have to think of something else to put in it like that lingering spicy sausage...two birds with one stone.  Curtains all closed, I've shut up shop for the night.  I'll see how much snow there is in the morning and discover my work load.  LN....Gives me something to do....LN
Posted by: tcinbg, January 10, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 10
That is something new for my recipe book.  ;D ;D ;D

"I blended the soul and had it with toast"

I can just hear you saying it, what a smart arse!
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 10, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 11
Thursday 10th January

That made me smile so much...I'm not going to edit it.  So I was cold last night, the house is at last warming up, it was much excitement can a girl withstand?

As for the rest of the weather, not only was it snowing hard last night but there was a thunderstorm going on and we had the same thing tonight.  It was sheet lightening fortunately and was right over head and going well in fact that it's taken up to now to get the internet back on for the update.  What a day...last night the weather got warmer and it started to rain but it didn't clear the snow and this morning the temperature was hovering around freezing, only got up to four degrees and nothing much to write home about.

I cooked breakfast and relished all of it...more or less a whole packet of bacon, one of Beyser's really yellow yolked eggs with a slice of fried bread.  Today has been about keeping fires going, clearing terraces and the yard and getting more wood in.  Having lit the little one in the kitchen I've decided to use up the old wood that's stored in the bedroom of the little house.  It's been there for a few years and it's been laziness on my part that it's still there but at least I've made a start on it.  

After working outside, I made another nest of the sofa and went back to Game of Thrones on the Kindle and strangely enough I'm more or less in parallel with the showings on the  TV when I was in UK at my daughter's house for Christmas so it's all pretty fresh.  As I said before, I rocketed through the books first time round and this time I'm taking it slower and really finding the bits that I missed.  I really shouldn't do it a box of chocolates and put them by my side when I'm reading...the chicken that I got out for supper is now in the freezer and will be made into soup tomorrow.  Some of the soup is out for the birds with a few slices of stale bread but there weren't many takers, maybe the dogs or cats will find it overnight.

The thunder and lightening has started up again so I'm going to bring this to a close.  I better check it for typos though...but there again does bring a smile to some people.  ;) ;)
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 11, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 12
Friday 11th January

Slept really well last night...woke up at five thirty, nestled down again and eventually came to around seven twenty...good enough for me.  I got the little fire going first, the big one needed more attention but by eight both were chugging away and the temperature was going up.  The house did maintain fifteen overnight so at least the house is warming up and it wasn't so cold as it has been overnight and looking at the weather, it should be around minus three tonight.

It's been a damp, miserable day, we had one hint of sun which lasted all of about an hour but there was little warmth in it.  This morning I realised that I needed to buy my road tax for the cars and tried it out on line.  What a simple process, both records printed and laminated and ready for the Beast and the Nipper....they are now legal.  The emails are filed so back ups at every turn....we are moving into the digital age in BG. ;) ;)

The only other activity today was to keep the home fires burning and the log basket in house and in the conservatory topped up.  I've stuck to my resolution...all the wood has come from the little house not from the's more fiddly but it's clearing the little house out.  Come spring there's work to be done.  The chicken that I took out of the freezer didn't get made into soup, it's in the oven with roasted potatoes and onions but mayo.  I had written out a shopping list and intended going in 'somewhere' either Djebel or Kardjali but the plan never got off the was that sort of weather.  I did have one visit from my coffee neighbour delivering some fluffy pancakes in memory of a passing and she hinted about going into Djebel but I didn't take the bait.  If I decide to go in tomorrow I'll let her know.  The lack of photos is due to the fact that there was nothing much to photograph.  The birds haven't touched the food that I put out yesterday and the garden has been pretty flightless.....maybe try to get some fat-balls for them tomorrow if I go into town. LN...Supper, book, 'tele' and bed...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 12, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 13
Saturday 12th January

Again it was a five thirty start so I rolled over and went back off again.  I toyed with the idea of starting the fire but that would have meant getting out of bed and I was snuggled down, warm and cosy so why would I?  At seven thirty I attempted to start the fire and it seemed that there was a very dense log left from last night and it was a hell of a job to got it going.  I teased it with firelighters and kind ling and it was red but there was no oommmph to it so I put it down to the weather.  It was damp outside, very little wind and everything just seemed to be hanging and it must have taken about an hour to get the first hot water coursing through the radiators.  It was all poke and prod, more kindling, another firelighter and this was interspersed with the sofa and Game of Thrones.  Eventually success!!

Toast for breakfast after I lobbed the rest of the soup over the hillside with the remains of the bread from the bird dish.  A cat did have a nibble and it must have been really hungry but then it sauntered away to find better pickings.  I dressed for Kardjali, sat on the sofa in front of my now roaring fire and made my mind up not to go.  After all you only spend money.  At twelve my new found coffee friend that I'd discussed the possibility of going to Kardjali with arrived and asked if we were still going.  I hummed and harred, said it was cold and damp and then asked her if she really wanted to go and she replied that she did.  She lives there and only comes down to see her mother at the weekend and she had things to take to the apartment and things to bring back so I 'painted the Beast yellow' and became a taxi...

She arrived at twelve thirty ready for the off, I was still messing around removing the old road tax disk with hot soapy water and putting the newly acquired laminated receipt in the Beast.  While I was at it I also sorted out the Nipper and started it for the first time since I'd got back and sweet purred.  Off we set and she has a habit of speaking Bulgarian with all the correct tenses and gabbling so I have trouble understanding her sometimes.  She said that she wanted to go to Billa but eventually I worked out that there was another one in a different part of town but she forgot to tell me the turning to take and then screeched that it was on the other road.  She doesn't drive so I carried on and turned in Lidl car park and off we set again explaining that I needed a little more notice f we were manoeuvring off the straight and narrow.  We found Billa and I parked up but it was more like a corner shop. and I bought a few things in there.  I'd sussed out that this was her neck of the woods and we ended up at her apartment where she left some stuff and picked up a couple of bags of things for her mother so back in the Beast, over to Kaufland and it was heaving so we didn't linger long, Lidl for a few things and she stayed in the Beast while I whizzed round for bacon and butter and then on to Djebel and we stopped for a coffee.  

Onwards and upwards and I dropped her off and her mother was pleased to see her.  She's such a sweet lady and one of my regular gang and the parting shot from the daughter was that I should go down for coffee tomorrow.  I said that I wouldn't....I had things to do...but we'll go out again but I don't want to do it every weekend...Saturday in town is not pleasant...too many people in the stores.  Fire was still going so I've banked it up.  The temperature has dropped dramatically and it's supposed to me many minuses tonight.  I've put more insoles into my slippers to keep my tootsies warm and at long last have put a new battery in the clock on the wall so that I get the right time now not an approximation as before.    I'm going downstairs now to settle in for the night...back to the next G of T book.  LN....I'm on stoking duty....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 13, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 14
Sunday 13th January

It was another cold night last night and a white and wintry start to the day.  Usual morning tasks, the fire being the main one even though I was going out for the day....I'm still warming the building up.  I'd phoned the Librarian last night to see if she wanted to come out to play today since it was her birthday.  She'd said yes and I was having to leave around eleven twenty so I had time to fill.  I'd invited Ms D or S along but the little one was fancying a pyjama day so we left it for a later decision.

I did a wash load and that's now dry having put it on the airer in the bathroom while I was out and it waiting to be put away.  I had enough logs in and didn't need to get more so I moved the Beast nearer the house so that I could get the Nipper out easily...the roads were clear so I didn't need the four by four facility.  I had my first shower since I've been back and washed my hair and rushed upstairs to the bathroom with the radiator, got dried off, dried my hair and put on clothes for style and warmth.  As I was leaving Remsier's grand-daughter arrived with a couple of fluffy pancakes in memory of someone's passing so I opened up the house and put them in the kitchen.  

I'd heard nothing from Ms D of S so carried on to the meeting point in the Librarian's village.  She was sitting in her car and soon legged it over to mine and off we set for the fish restaurant and guess was closed for the day.  I tried to text Ms D of S to tell her that the venue had changed but the text didn't go through...the provider had scrapped my balance because I didn't make a top up in time.  This week I'm keeping the number and porting it to another provider on a contract.  They should have no right to delete balances.  So off to the new restaurant, we both settled for thick soup and cheesy chips so it was a very cheap lunch.  I settled the bill and we headed out to walk round the lake, well not all the way round and noticed how much ice there was on the lake and it was obvious that there'd been a wedding, there were white love hearts even floating on the lake.  Unfortunately my camera battery packed up otherwise we would have more.  

Back to the pick up point which now became the drop off point and off I set to visit D of S, Ms D of S and the little one.  I sat with a coffee, the little one is adorable but is none stop...I was tired watching her.  Home for five thirty, fire started and it didn't take long before the hot water was  belting round the system.  I caught the Masters Snooker and my hero is on the table tomorrow so that's my Monday sorted.  The temperature has dropped again and is destined for minus seven according to the internet, the house is up to eighteen degrees and that is good for there being no fire for the afternoon but the sun has been secondary heating system.  No supper for me...I'll manage until breakfast.  LN....A very relaxing day with friends....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 14, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 15
Monday 14th January

First awakening at three thirty so it was definitely a roll-over and managed to stay until six thirty...very reasonable.  It was a cold start and lots of wind belting around but the sky was blue so I thought it was a good day to get the wood burner pipes out and give them a clean.  I'd intended doing it before I went to the UK but time ran out as it sometimes does so now was as good time as any.

They were dismantled by six forty five, taken out into the conservatory and cleaned,  I spring cleaned the rest of the wood burner and it was all back together again by seven twenty and I stopped to have a coffee along the way.  It's a job that you think is going to take a long time and to me it's a bit like ironing.....not that I do any of it now.  The hardest part is getting the ironing board out and plugging in the iron.  I used to hate Sunday nights when the children were small and the uniforms had to be done plus ex's shirts.  So now that I'd made a start on housework there was no stopping me until twelve when I sat down to a late breakfast of bacon and egg.  Sweet and sour pork with onions and carrots in the new slow cooker,  I cleaned and swept the conservatory and shook out the mats, did the same with the kitchen and gave it a tidy, another load of washing into the machine but this time on the radiator even though there was no fire, so no heat.  Got rid of the burning waste and had a bonfire, walked the was such a lovely day apart from the wind which kept the temperature low despite the sun.

After breakfast I lay on the sofa with my Kindle and by one the eyes had gone southwards but I was awakened from slumber by two of my local ladies arriving with gifts.  I think I'm going to have to stop Christmas presents to them...they want to give something in return and I wish they didn't.  Of course I shouldn't deprive them of the pleasure of giving but I know how little their pensions are.  I had biscuits, dishes for the kitchen, chocolates, a drinking cup, fruit and a jar of coffee and it was Gold Blend.  I went into the lounge to get a box of chocolates and one of the ladies had not really been in the house before so followed me in and looked at everything.  From the lounge you can see my downstairs bedroom so she made a bee-line for that and when she looked at the quilt I told her that it was feathers from the duck and she was amazed...I don't think she'd seen or felt one before.  So off they were going and I explained that the new conservatory made the kitchen much warmer and she hadn't noticed the kitchen so she was back in the house to have a proper look and then into the bathroom and there were a lot of ooos and aarhhs.  I think she liked it.

Eventually she left and no sooner had I got back on the sofa with a book when I had another visitor wishing me a Happy New Year.  We had coffee, I mentioned that I had a problem with the bathroom light fitting so I was whisked in the car into Djebel to try to get a new one.  Nothing doing locally so we carried on to Kardjali, new one bought for twenty lev, straight back home, fitted and now I have lights in the upstairs bathroom again.  Big thanks.

Fire is going, supper is ready and I'm having pasta so nice and quick and it looks like there's going to be enough for tomorrow.  It does take time to get back into the routine.  LN...Same weather please tomorrow.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 15, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 16
Tuesday 15th January

Woke up this morning at one minute to internal clock appears to be a little fast but for one minute...I shan't complain about it.  Normal morning routine, ashes out, fire lit and I wasn't too sure if we were going to have a sunny day or not but I needed have worried about it.  I knew that I was about to hatch a severe lungs felt tight, my head was a little swimmy  so I got straight down to the hot lemon, honey, pine tree tip syrup and I've been bouncing off the walls ever since.  A huge sugar rush but the aspirin dulled it down enough for me to go to sleep for about three hours on the sofa.  More lemon on the awakening, temperature in the lounge was up to thirty two so that sun did me OK and the fact that the fire had expired during the same time that I had didn't present a huge problem.

So I'd just come back to the land of the living when Haciber arrived at the door bringing me a wafer bar and some chocolates from her daughter who'd arrived from Turkey.  I must give her the name of the chocolates that I really adore and maybe she can do me a favour obviously for cash...I wouldn't expect anything different.  Now Haciber related that her daughter had gone to Kardjali so sort out some central heating for her for her cottage.  The idea's great but I think she needs to get her a simple idiot's guide.  No heating, UPS recommended two hours and then it's useless and if the electricity went off like it did a few years ago for twelve days...she'll need a back up.  There again...look what I've started....who'd have thought it.  The internet was down this afternoon and probably down to the howling wind.  A phone call to my provider and it was back within the hour. so hopefully will stay up.

Supper is still the same stuff from the slow cooker.  I turned it on at three this afternoon, added potatoes so I can dine as and when.  My appetite is not what it should be...colds just bung you up but I shall nestle down in front of the fire once I've finished the update.  It's not so bad tonight..only supposed to go down to minus six...positively tropical.   ;) ;)  So nothing on for tomorrow....I'm self medicating and nursing.  LN....Supper and a book at bedtime....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 16, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 17
Wednesday 16th January

It's flu is raging and I'm content to walk around with a toilet roll in one hand and a black bag in the other.  The sneezes are earth shattering and my poor brain, for what it's worth is getting bashed about something chronic.

I went to bed last night at the normal time even though I'd slept most of the afternoon and true to form I was awake at three thirty and dozed with the light on until six when I greeted the world.  I went back to bed with more lemon and honey mixture dosing myself up with more aspirin and watched the sun come up from my bed and realised that there would be no need to light the fire, we were in for a good day.

I ran a that at eight thirty and lingered there with my Kindle until nine thirty dried off and then took up position on the sofa downstairs and I've been there most of the day sleeping on and off.  I'm not particularly susceptible to colds but according to Guljan who phoned me from Germany this afternoon...'it is a virus, everybody in Bulgaria has it' and I certainly don;t like to be exception to the rule.

So that's me, this is finished, I think I'll survive without resorting to antibiotics which is the way of a Bulgarian.  It just needs to run it's course but I'm hoping it's quick about it.  LN....The sofa calls.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 17, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 18
Thursday 17th January

So I managed on the sofa until ten and off to bed, slept until one thirty and had the most amazing coughing fit, gasping for breath and all sorts.  Manage to get off again until three thirty and then dog-dozed with the light on again until six thirty.  The morning got me out of bed.  There were some superb colours in the sky that need to be captured.  I wasn't exactly leaping around the estate but limping and holding of for dear life.  I jest but could this be man-flu now that I'm living on my own....maybe I'm entitled to it. :-/ :-/

I coaxed the fire into being and headed back to bed.  It promised to be a good day weather-wise and it didn't disappoint.  I only had one job to do and I was putting it off but eventually I succumbed.  Two log carriers filled up and delivered into the porch and I've kept the fire more or less ticking along all day.  I did managed to wash up from the last few days...emptied the remains of the slow cooker over the wall and the fat ginger one was on it in a flash and the pot is  now ready for my next concoction.  I've given up on the aspirin, I didn't eat until three this afternoon when I dug out some smoked cheese and some rice crisps.  I needed something with flavour.  

Hoping for a better night tonight....I haven't slept so much during the day but I'm tired of FB, email, Soda Crush and Sudoku.   LN....Please make me well again soon.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 18, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 19
Friday 18th January

So bed by ten thirty and woke up at one thirty and I think I was asleep, not sure, I was playing pac-man with the bad germs in my system and dreaming that I was eating them all up.  I didn't managed to get back to sleep again until four and was awake at seven...not the good night I was hoping for.  I did feel better today though, coughing better as my mother would say but didn't feel like anything to eat, settled for coffee and went back to the sofa after I'd finished my morning chores.  Wood into the house as I walked back from gathering a couple of screw drivers from the little house.

I have a leak from the water system in the downstairs toilet, not gushing but the mat was always damp when you went to the loo.  I'd identified that it was one of the seals so turned off the supply to the toilet, emptied the cistern, and noticed that the seal had not been put in correctly when Bekir had made the last repair to the plumbing.  So I unscrewed it, centred the seal, screwed it back up and still leaks but ever so slightly so on Monday I'll get a couple from the hardware shop taking in the original so there's no mistaking the one that I want.  I have a new skill to add to my C.V.  I did put a dish under the leak so that it's contained...the mat and floor is dry.  I did have a visitor today bearing gifts....home made bread and a orange drink and apparently it was from her mother.  I excused the fact that I didn't ask her in by telling her that I had 'grip' so was infected and she soon ran away.  I went back to my desk,gave myself a manicure and painted my nails.  I am back..well most of me.

I made a couple of phone calls to the UK this afternoon to catch up with the news and settled in to watch the snooker.  I think my hero is playing on Saturday afternoon so that's my Saturday sorted then. The fire's going well even though I didn't light it until four thirty, it's been sunny but cloudy from lunchtime onwards but the house is ticking over at twenty four as we speak,  That's enough for me.  No photos...I was too busy being the maintenance person to the estate and I've been chewed off for saying man flu...the new phrase is 'person flu'.  I'll remember it for next time,  LN...Fire stoking..LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 19, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 20
Saturday 19th January

Another sleepless night unfortunately, three thirty found me reading and skipping over certain chapters of Game of Thrones on the Kindle to go with the characters I know not the ones that just drift in from various island groups.  Now I'm getting selective,  I kept going until five when I turned the light off and got my head down again and it was just before seven when I surfaced for the second time to a beautiful sunrise with nature coming up with a beautiful colour palette.  Snapped for a while, tried to get a few of the woodpecker but it was really flitting around but managed on just as it was leaving the Acacia half way down the garden...and at some speed.

I'd kept the fire going all night since I was up and active so I emptied the ash can and had a very lazy morning after that.  I put the computer on upstairs and watched breakfast time and then realised what a waste of time it was so put the machine to bed.  I've not eater very well for a few days now.  Everything tasted the same that's if I could taste anything at all with this stupid cold and the head's OK now but the coughing just comes on in spasms and it's quite tiring.  So I sliced up a couple of onions with the intention of making onion soup but then it got a little more complicated.  I fried them off in butter, added bacon, a tin of baked beans, a couple of OXO cubes and some water and let if stew very gently.  I had onion soup but not as you know it.  It tasted OK and at least I could taste it but it left me with indigestion...jut too heavy for a  hardly used stomach.

On tot he sofa by twelve, slept between more chapters on my Kindle and I was ready for three thirty for the start of the snooker match.  Ronnie was playing Ding and the first three games flew by but then it all seemed to go pear shaped for him and from a four love match it suddenly turned into a four three match and I'd lost interest at this point.  Anyway I stuck with it but managed to get chicken wings, potatoes and onions into the oven, two loads of logs in and the fire banked up while he sorted himself out and I watched the last frame demolishing the last of my Cadbury Wholenut chocolate from the UK.  He fortunately without me hanging on to his every attempt at potting balls....he came through.

Supper won't be ready until eight so at least my lunch should have gone down and I'll sleep with a full tummy so hopefully...I shall be weighed down.  Finals day tomorrow so another afternoon in front of the computer.  LN....And relax....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 20, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 21
Sunday 20th January

Well an even stranger one last night.  I fell asleep on the sofa in front of the fire and woke up at one thirty and full of the joys…..not an ounce of sleep in me.  I’d watched the snooker to see who would be in the final with my ‘looks to be departed hero after today’s efforts’ but the internet had been playing up…so hence the sofa with the tablet for a few games.  I’d made it to bet and turned out the light ready to settle down but decided to check up who’d managed to get the second final place and instead of turning it off immediately I carried on until four thirty.  Straight to sleep and it was seven thirty when the great awakening occurred but I shouldn’t have bothered…it was raining, cold and damp and it’s remained that way all day. As I woke up I thought it was Monday and was cancelling my planed day in Kardjali, then brain power kicked in and I remembered that Sunday normally follows Saturday…silly me.  As for the internet,  I think my provider has too many new recruits without the infrastructure in place it’s been like a bride’s nightie….very frustrating and I’ve just had the same problem.

Lazy day, yesterday’s soup went into the slow cooker with the uneaten chicken wings from last night, doused liberally with curry powder and they’ve provided a delicious supper.  I was invited this morning to a mekitzi pancake party at Zelinger’s house, she was having visitors that she wanted me to meet and I had to refuse…I still feel bug laden.  I’d settled back into my computer and tracking down a few more relatives and noticed that there were two strange people in my garden so I went down stairs and they were with my coffee lady from the bottom of the village.  These were Zelinger’s guest clutching pancakes.  I went to the door, explained that I would prefer that they didn’t come in but they weren’t taking no for an answer and wanted the conducted tour and it’s difficult to stop some forces when in action especially when you don’t really feel up to it.  They loved the house and the big windows, the natural wood of the staircase and the general layout and off they went after about twenty minutes.  Not my fault if they catch it…they were warned,

Ronnie is getting thrashed and I think he might give up playing now, eight my time and I’m hoping that the internet is up so that I can post this and I’ve had success on the relative front and I think I’ve found the parents of my ‘many time great’ that was stopping me from going even further back.  Still cold and miserable…and if the weather is like this tomorrow….I’m staying home.  LN….I want snow and cold…LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 21, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 22
Monday 21st January

And what a lovely day I've had.  It was grim this morning and I decided that I wouldn't go into was raining, cloudy, not worth getting the camera out for but I was at that point 'to light or not to light' the fire...but I did.  It was a mare to get going, when the damp clings it really does and there's not much draw now that the new conservatory is on.  Before I had to have a curtain up at the main door with a draught excluder of gravel enclosed in a felt material to stop the wind whistling.

So back to my day.  Fire eventually going and making a name for itself, I stripped the nest out and got the duvet cover and bottom sheet in the machine, the curried chicken was delicious last night so I added sweet potato and carrots to the remaining stock and that's tonight's meal.  I think it's turning into the Irish stock pot that just keeps giving.  Toast with Marmite for breakfast, kitchen one hundred percent sorted and now the rest of the day was mine.  Washing over the banister to dry, boiler put to high and now that the decision had been taken to stay home....I was in the bath by twelve thirty, Kindle at the ready, hair washed, headrest in place, Kindle down before a thirty minute nap...I have had one found floating and I emerged from the tub at two thirty,  I'd left the boiler on and was able to top it up...the nicest bath I've had in ages.  Second load of washing in and now drying on the airer in the bathroom, I've made the bed up so a clean nest for tonight, just about to get a bowl of my curry soup, fire going beautifully and the sun came out this afternoon and dried up all the rain.  I didn't manage to get out and check Incy Wincy but I guess he's doing just fine.  LN.....Fire duties are in order.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 22, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 23
Tuesday 22nd January

So the relax state that I went to bed in didn't really do me any good.  By three thirty I'd filled my sleep basket so I played Soda Crush, read for a while and eventually decided to get my head down at five again but this time I went through until eight thirty....well worth it.  The rest of the day has seemed to rocket by and I don't really think that I've achieved very much at all ....there again....I didn't set out to set the world alight today.

I laid the fire but didn't light it.  It was very dull outside again but dry and at ten thirty when I looked out if had started to snow, not hard but it was soon scooped up by the rain,  The temperature outside was around four degrees and I've felt cold all day.  I hadn't bothered getting washed and dressed but had got a thickish sweater on with decent trousers and at around eleven thirty I had a visitor.  I made the first of a few coffees, lit the fire but there wasn't much success with it at first.  It's because it was so damp draw.  He stayed around for around an hour or so and after the second coffee he headed out.  I've offered help on a few fronts and we've set Friday as a possible day to get a few jobs done in Kardjali.  The furthest I've been today was to the log store to full up the log carriers and the cold seemed to pass right through me and I was soon back to the fire.  I did intend a bonfire but that didn't happen either and the only thing that I have done is remove the house plant from the bathroom and it's now sitting on the landing waiting to go downstairs.  I'd set it to grow in an olive tin, it's been in the bathroom for about six years now and I've noticed that the tin has started to rust so it's time I found a new container for it and it needs to be done soon, the bathroom looks empty without it.

So a little more of Kindle this afternoon, just about to sort something out for supper since the chicken wings that I took from the freezer this morning are still not thawed out enough...they'll go in the slow cooker tomorrow and made more delicious soup....yet again.  And now into the evening stint...television awards are on the TV tonight so I might absorb myself in that until it's time for shut eye.   Just one pickie of somebody's cat surveying the territory....not a bad vantage point.  LN....Fingers crossed for a better night...LN

Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 23, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 24
Wednesday 23rd January

I did wake up at three thirty yet again but then rolled over, work up at six and rolled over twenty when my dawn broke.  The sun was out so I grabbed the camera and headed upstairs to get some lovely shots of the mist in the valleys and hanging on to the mountains.  It was such a surprise after the last few days of rain and with fingers crossed I sent a message to my student and made plans to go and visitor her this morning.  I had brought a present for the family from the UK and for her...belated birthday present...some perfume.

I grabbed my list and headed out around ten fifteen stopping of firstly at the post office to pick up my post from December.  A couple of Christmas cards, bank statements and other official documents that will be sorted over the next few days.  I picked up the parts for the toilet repairs that will be done tomorrow, coffee and biscuits and she was over the moon with the gifts,  We caught up on the news and our first stop was to the hospital in Momchilgrad to visit her cousin.  We carried on to the Lev shop and I filled up on pens and other things I could probably have done without and then on to my parking place near my bank.  I paid my telephone bill, went into one of the other providers and moved my pay as you go phone over to a contract phone.  Under the new legislation, if you don't top up they can remove your balance...and they do.  I did question it but there was very little acknowledgement that they were doing anything illegal and they;rer probably's in the small print.  So the change is happening, it should be completed on Monday, a have the new SIM to put in so another thing crossed off.  We headed down to my expensive stationery shop and I bought another pen since they didn't stock the refils for my original one from there.  

We headed to a lunchtime restaurant and I ended up with beef soup while my student had mousaka, back in to the car, a quick stop at Lidl and I dropped her off to go for another coffee with her aunt.  I was invited but again I refused...I'd been out too long for my first day.  I doubled back to the garage and I'd noticed that when I tried to spray water on the back window to clean it...there was no water on the outside of the window but plenty on the inside.  Now it's fixed.  Home and parked up, lit the fire and supper is in and should be ready in quick sticks.  Lovely catching up with my student again and I might even have the pleasure of her company at the weekend with more of her cousins.  LN...Hoover at the ready tomorrow....LN
Posted by: tcinbg, January 23, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 25
Your lonesome pine!

Cue for a song.

I prefer the Laurel and Hardy version.
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 24, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 26
Thursday 24th January

I have no intention of recording the song and loading it on here and I hope to goodness you don't either Trevor.  Let's just keep it in our heads.  Alternatively if you ever make it to this neck of the woods...we could stand out in the garden and sing it to the tree... ;) ;)

What a night....I got the plans out for the ark and am keeping them at the ready.  It will be the neighbours going in two by two....the animals can find higher ground.  The winds were horrendous and I had this weird dream that the trees in the garden came down and I was convincing myself that it would go towards the road and leave the cars alone.  It had stopped by the time that I came to this morning.  The first thing that came into my head was bread from the van and as I was pulling on my padded trousers I heard the horn so I wiggled a bit quicker and got down there just as he was preparing to leave.  Tow loaves of bread, no fishes but half a dozen eggs and that was breakfast...scrambled eggs on toast.  I'd messed around this morning with my home's never been right since I changed it and keeps going into emergency mode.  Tomorrow it's going back.  I get one hundred minutes to the UK included in the price and had to phone the bank.  One of the letters yesterday was that they were taking the money from dormant accounts and giving them to the government.  I could reclaim it but if I wanted to stop the process I had to I did.  All seventeen pounds over the two accounts is now winging its way to my other account.  

I'm still not sure where this morning went was one before I realised it.  I did make a bit of a name for myself...I replaced the seal in the toilet and that appears to be working, I had a bonfire but got dressed for the Antarctic...I don't want another bout of what I'm just getting over and got a load of logs in.  The rest of the afternoon has been spent playing Soda Crush and I was fair whipping thought the bored so took to the Kindle for a short while and I was just nodding when the grand-daughter from on of my ladies appeared and has invited me to a Mevlit on Saturday and ten and it's in my diary already.  

Kardjali tomorrow helping out with some admin, my only job is to deliver the phone back to the shop and demand another.  It's not expensive but it's the principle.  LN..On the hunt for supper....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 25, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 27
Friday 25th January

So it rained all night and was still pouring it down this morning.  I thought the day in Kardjali might be called out but everyone arrived spot on time.  I'd got up at seven thirty and not bothered with the fire since I was out today, washed and dressed and even had time for scrambled eggs on toast looking out on to the sodden hillside.  I washed up and cleared the kitchen, polished my boots and was ready for the off.  I suddenly noticed a lot of activity in the garden,  There were a few jays knocking around, different types of woodpecker but unfortunately there was so much mist around and the birds were pretty spritely and belting around that some of the shots just didn't do them justice.  At this point we were off so I grabbed my M-Tel phone and we headed out.  I was tired of having it available for Emergency calls only and since I wasn't planning any...I wanted it for normal use.  

So in to town and the boxes on the list were ticked off.  I took my phone to the shop and they tested it saying they could find nothing wrong with it so that was to become another problem for another day.  We had a trip round the market, stopped off and bought vegetable and herb seeds, on to the next shop and a couple of fruit trees were purchased.  She was such a sweetie in the shop, trimmed the roots and the trees, full instructions as to how and when to plant them including making sure that the graft on one of them was facing north.  I'd never heard that before,  We headed to a soup kitchen for lunch, back to the car and picked up the goodies from the tree shop and the lady even delivered the items to the car giving us a wave as she went back in the shop.  Lidl for a shop and a few items for me, home for three thirty, the home phone still didn't work, coffee made, fire lit and there was a message to my other phone that I was to put the new SIM card in so that they could port the number.  No success...and the shop has just phoned asking me to go on Monday to sort it out.  I just hate it when things don't go as planned....but this is Bulgaria.  Out of curiosity I carried the home phone to the top landing...and it's working so it has a new home.

Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches for supper, I want and easy evening.  Mevlit in the morning at ten at the top end of the village...I shall wrap up worm if the weather is like this tomorrow and I shall be taking a very thick cushion to sit on...needs as needs must.  LN...Time to switch off...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 27, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 28
Saturday 26th January

It was another cold and miserable day and I thought my flu was heading back and about to give me another hit.  I didn't bother going to the mevlit.  My neighbour called round for me, I made my excuses and promptly settled back on the sofa and went back to sleep.  By lunchtime I realised that it had been a false alarm, sneezed it out of me but nestled b ack on the sofa with my Kindle for the afternoon.  As for birds in the garden....I think they're all hibernating...there was been nothing all day.

My student confirmed that she would be visiting with her sister and her new fiance and her cousin and we agreed on ten ten thirty.  She said that her father might like to come too and I said...enough...and I hope he will take it as my joke.

I watched the tennis highlights and settled in to watch 'The Voice' and I really like the mix of judges.  Sir Tom actually did a surprise duet with one of the contestants and she was over the moon.  Their voices blended so well and she was over the moon and almost crying  to her mother....'I've just dueted with Sir Tom'... I watched Mrs Brown's Boys chuckling to myself.  Very risque but fun.  LN....Snuggle time....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 27, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 29
Sunday 27th January

First off a big birthday wish for a happy day to my eldest grandson...twenty today and where have those years gone.   ;) ;)

Another cold miserable day with just a small window of sun around twelve this lunchtime.  I'd got up at seven, I'd kept the fire going all night since I had visitors today and without sun the house get's marginal.  By the fire in the winter lounge it's fine but when you come to sit for a while and are relying on radiators, you have to stoke it up.  I finished off running the hoover round, got showered and hair washed and was caught out...the supposed arrival of ten thirty was brought forward by thirty minutes so I laughingly told them to go sit in the car for half an hour....which they were close to doing until I told them it was a joke.  All that I had left to do was touch up my nails so that had to wait.

I love my little student, she takes over and does the full guided tour but she did ask if it was OK to take them upstairs.  She hadn't been since the new stairs have been installed and it was the first thing that she commented on.  I stayed in the kitchen and put the kettle on for coffee, tea and biscuits and followed them upstairs.  Obviously the sisters have been here before but her fiance has or her cousin and my little student was pointing out 'her bedroom' for when we have snow and she comes to stay, the balcony in the second bedroom so that her sister can come as well with her boyfriend.  She loves the house and has asked that if she gets engaged in spring or summer, she wants the engagement party in the garden....she's got to get a boyfriend first.    So we settled in the lounge and talked about the boyfriends plans to go to Germany to work and when he gets settled I think she has plans that we go out for a visit.  He's heading for Dresden since he has friends there, I know nothing about it so better get reading up.

Off then went at twelve, I cleared up the cups and settled down on the sofa for thirty minutes in the sun and yes, you've guessed it, the cat was reclining.  There's been little to do ...when the guests have gone, the house is clean and tidy, I got enough wood in for the next couple of days, not really interested in anything for supper since I've been picking and grazing most of the afternoon on 'stuff'.  I was so bored this afternoon I settled in to watch the crown bowls championship...not my usual sport and I think it's a shame when the best player has his bowls and the jack removed just because he's not able to position is balls as accurately as his opponent.  There was a first prize of fifty thousand pounds though...maybe I can sort the grass out and start a club for the locals.  Now there's a thought.

Dancing on ice tonight...not really been watching it but it's OK when I get tired of reading.  Kardjali tomorrow to get my new contract sorted for my mobile and it looks like the solution I found for my home phone was not a solution at all.  I moved it upstairs to get better reception but I've noticed that it's gone into 'Emergency Calls Only' mode again.  Firstly I shall complain on the internet, if I take it back to the shop they have such a huge antenna on the roof that it's always going to work there.  I'm just being bombarded with crap technology at the moment...grrr...don't you just love it.  

Again no photos...when the birds were out the camera was downstairs and off they went...never to return to the garden.  I could see them very active on the hillside but they didn't make it this far.  So yet again to Kardjali...wish me luck.  LN....Teletubby time.....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 28, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 30
Monday 28th January

Wonderful sleep last night.  The internet TV was playing up and it wouldn't load for some reason so I headed for the lounge, the Kindle and the was much more enjoyable.  I headed to bed at eleven twenty and the next I knew it was just before seven.  That should surprise my Fitbit and push the averages out a bit.

I didn't light the fire this morning...I was on a mission to get my phone sorted and I didn't intend taking any prisoners.  There was a hint of sun despite the grey clouds but as soon as the sun broke though it was gobbled up again and there were a few drops of rain in the wind.  So back to normal.  I settled for a toasted ham sandwich and more coffee after I was washed and dressed and again got out the Kindle....I'd nearly finished the fourth book in the Game of Thrones and was eager to put it to bed and start on the next....and I did...but I didn't start on the next until I got back from shopping.  I put on extra sweaters this morning...layering over layers which was a wrong move.  I'd settled for my long wool cardigan but should have put a coat on instead.  So into the Nipper by ten thirty and into Kardjali managing to find a parking space very near to the phone shops.  First call was to change the phone and the assistant was very accommodating.  She took it to the power socket, confirmed that the battery wasn't working, asked if I wanted a desk phone or a mobile type and I settled for the desk phone.  Paperwork done and she set the time and date but didn't know how to get the English menus up but I did that as soon as I got home.  I moved on to Viva-com to find out what the problem was with transferring from Telenor to their service and we had another piece of paper to fill in to confirm that I was the owner of the phone.  Still not surer why but it should be sorted either today or tomorrow and then I shall have no body deleting any credit that I have remaining if I fail to top up within a certain period.  Bloody small print.  I walked down to my cheapy shop and managed to pick up a pair of navy leather shoes for the princely sum of one lev ninety which will do me for the summer.  Leather shoes cost a small fortune here that's if you can manage to find them.

I got back in the car to go to the opticians....I need another pair of prescription reading glasses ...I think the others are somewhere in the garden as per norm but I haven't come across them as yet.  Unfortunately the sign on the door said that he wouldn't be opening until four this afternoon and I wasn't for hanging about....another day.  I went into the Tuesday cheapy shop and found a rather lovely burnt orange spring weight cardigan but his was three lev...expensive for me but it's got sparkly bit on it and superb should I settle for a cruise later in the year.  Kaufland and I almost had a ruck with a gypsy teenager.  I cam out of the shop and he was determined to get the twenty stotinki from my shopping trolley and I was just as determined that he shouldn't have it.  I'd loaded my shopping in a box and was juggling it somewhat and as I put the trolley into it's slot I dropped the coin on the floor, he made a grab for it saying that it was lucky that he should have it and I virtually stamped on his hand and said he was lucky to have moved it in time.  Vermin....the police should move them on.

So unpacked and chicken legs into he freezer.  On to the sofa and I managed an hour and haven't long woken up.  Phone sorted and working and hopefully the other will be up and running tomorrow.  I'll phone the opticians tomorrow and place the order and as for tomorrow....nothing on the agenda but I think I'm going to get started on writing up the genealogy chart unless the weather is good and I might even dig over the vegetable patch...well I did say 'might'.  LN....I have a fire to top up...LN  
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 29, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 31
Tuesday 29th January

Six forty start this morning and it was fire resuscitated and it wasn't so much cold but damp and miserable again.  The ark plans I think have to come out again if it carries on like this.  Now if it was cold...this would be snow and much more appreciated that what we're having....the birds in the garden were all looking wet and bedraggled....roll on spring and summer or let's have some winter.

Back to bed with the Kindle and coffee while the house warmed up.  I eventually headed upstairs for a wash and to get dressed, grabbed the laundry basket and took it down with me.  Got the machine going, straight on to the airer with it and it's now ready to put away.  I do pity the poor souls without a drying space..nothing worse that wet washing around the place.  I'd bought French stick and I couple of packs of reduced bacon yesterday so a bacon and egg baguette started my day off well and I sat at the table in the stair well checking emails and FB but there was nothing of any interest to add my two pennyworth to.  The birds looked very wet and fed up as they tried to find breakfast...and a thought sprang to mind...I wonder if they get depressed about the weather or just accept what comes....not there's a thought to carry forward into the rest of my day.

Washed up and found some meat that I'd taken out of the freezer and it was deserving of my attention.  A chicken leg went in the little slow cooker with some barbecue sauce and a stock cube and water and I fried off the pork with an onion, added curry powder and that went int he big slow cooker for tomorrow's supper and one portion for the freezer so by eleven thirty, the rest of the day was mine.  The sofa became the activity centre for the day until it was time to boil and mash potatoes for the chicken leg and it was delicious, the pork curry is cooling and will be attended to later, the washing up is done and the kitchen is tidy and it's only six twenty...but it has been a slow old day.  It's been a fire topping up day and even when the blue sky showed itself and a vague hint of sun was still cold and miserable.  

A little bit of joy...I have my first flower head on the freesias in the porch.  They'll get staked properly tomorrow and be brought inside to encourage more.  I've also noticed that I have seed pods on the skimmia.  I've never grown it before so didn't know.  I'll leave them to see what happens to them.  Just to new desk phone is working a treat and downstairs at that on the desk....the new provider for my Bulgarian phone has taken over the sim from my old provider and I have service.  Two bits of technology sorted yesterday and working today.  Time for posting and sort out the rest of my evening.  LN...Book five of G of F continues....LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 30, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 32
Wednesday 30th January

It was a silly night last night.  I found myself playing Soda Crush at two and not an ounce of sleep in me so read for a while and eventually got my head down at three this morning.  I managed to sleep through until seven thirty, roused the fire, washed and dressed ready to face the day and realised that I should have not been too eager to get the fire going.  The downstairs bathroom had smoke escaping from the flue emptying box so obviously there was something up there that shouldn't be.  I let the fire die down again, made a bacon and egg baguette, settled down on the sofa with the Kindle waiting to tackle the chimney and managed to catch bedraggled birds in the garden and the visiting woodpecker.

I removed the flue pipes but I knew that the problem didn't lie there.  I took the flue box cover off and with my handy soup ladle I took out the loose stuff and armed with a length of plastic flexible hose I worked it up the chimney up to where the chimney pipes enter the system and it was clear.  Next stage was to use the same pipe to try to remove any obstructions in the main chimney and I managed to get about five feet up there, some came down but obviously the blockage was higher up.  I checked it out with a lit candle and there seemed to be sufficient draft so I put the pipes back, banked the fire up, smoke was coming out of the chimney when I checked outside but I still had smoke in the bathroom.  Time to call in resources.

I went to my new phone and found that my contacts had not moved over from the old sim to the new so I was on the hunt for Bekir's number.  I managed to find it, spoke to the maestor and I'm picking him up at nine tomorrow complete with bashing lump of metal.  He goes on the roof, metal weight is suspended on a rope, weight dropped down the chimney and I confirm that it's made its way down to the bottom and clear up the debris that it brings down.  So on my agenda for tomorrow is.....

Curry is almost ready in the slow cooker and just got the rice to do.  I've banked the fire up but left the bathroom window slightly open so that I don't get overpowered,  I've got to see if there's a way to get the phone numbers off the old sim I've been back to the address book and put in the ones that need to be there.  LN....Need to sort out the rice...LN
Posted by: Elsa Peters, January 31, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 33
Thursday 31st January

Another silly night...I woke up on the sofa at three thirty in front of the fire, and struggled to bed and went through until seven this morning.  Tonight I will not settle on the sofa...bed, bed, bed.

I took some photos but they have got so many red blobs over them there is no way I'm going to post them...very pretty but not very professional.  I need to clean the lens if they are orbs...I've got lots of friends hanging around but I suspect it's dust.  Ready for the off at eight thirty to pick up Bekir from his village.  It was a beautiful morning , still damp underneath and one or two roadside rivers running but I only met one real patch of fog on the way.  He was waiting for me at the cafe and came complete with iron ball for ramming the creosote type deposit on the inside of the chimney.  

So over to mine and out came the tall ladder from the workshop, up he went on to the balcony and he heaved the ladder up behind him.  He put it against the roof and clutching his ball and a pair of pliers he made his way to the chimney and removed the wire holding the chimney cap in place.  I headed to the downstairs bathroom and the ball was being danced down the inside fo the chimney and down came the debris into the bathroom. I was doing alright with the lumpy stuff but suddenly I had clouds of real soot appear coating more or less everything including me.  I dropped the hatch over the outlet and left him to it.  As a whistle, and he did the kitchen chimney while he was at it and when I lit it tonight not a hint of backfiring smoke.  I cleaned up the bathroom, tools away and he was home for eleven and I carried on to visit friends in Fotinovo and then called at Mrs D of S's to spend time with them and the little one.

Home for three thirty, I lit the fire, put the boiler on and spent the afternoon in the bath reading and sleeping.  I dried off around five thirty, warmed up the curry and rice from last night and that was my supper for tonight.  What a lovely day I've had and so relaxed after my bath.  LN....So far nothing to do tomorrow....LN
Print page generated: July 2, 2020, 8:55am