Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Elsa Peters living a new life in Bulgaria    General Boards    My Diary by Elsa Peters  ›  AUGUST 2016
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 6 Guests

AUGUST 2016  This thread currently has 5,705 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Elsa Peters
August 1, 2016, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Monday 1st August

So here we go again...a new month and where did the last one go?  August, September and then into countdown to preparation for winter.  Wood to be order, cut and stacked and work to start on the little house.  I only hope it cools down somewhat....two hours each day to water the garden is getting too much and I'm still having to rescue plants with water bottles upended.

The sun was really up when I got started this morning.  I didn't have breakfast and I was on the computer at about nine this morning when Emula, one of the lads from the village told me that there was a Mevlit. or offerings in the little mosque at  ten thirty organised by his guest who is on holiday from Sweden.   Now I don't understand the prayers but the village gather there, men in the one room with the hojjas who do the singing and the women in the other two rooms.  There are more women that men in my village.  I think it's a time for the women to come together and twice one of the men came out and asked them to keep it quiet.  I like going there.  I put my headscarf on out of respect the same way that I would put one on if I went into any denomination church in Europe, sit on the floor with the rest of them, close my eyes and go off into my own little world.  I know the pertinent bits now where they all join in the chorus but I don't....only in my head....but I do enjoy the ambience.  There was one little hiccup where one of the ladies came round with some cologne that unfortunately made some people start to cough, it was so strong so the rose water was handed out to follow which completely hid my Samsara...ah well...

Just after twelve we rounded off with a few Ameens, all settled down to rice and meat, a yogurt drink and a prepacked piece of cake, a few more Ameens to say thanks for the food and I was home, carrying more rice for later by about one.  Too hot to be doing anything, too hot to be outside so it was on to the sofa for a read, a sleep and I moved outside onto the sunbed at five to catch the last of the sun.....with my book.  I'm now on to book five of the vampire tales and I'm quite liking the main character so I'll stick with it.  No photos today....I think it would be rude to take them in the mosque....it's a private time for most of the people.

Gentle day tomorrow...over to the Librarian's for tomorrow night via Mrs D of S and I might just happen to have my swimsuit with me to test the water....and a day out is planned for Wednesday and I shall have the camera with me.  Rice for supper, well the meat out of it anyway.  The garden has been watered early....LN...My work is done...LN
Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message
Elsa Peters
August 1, 2016, 5:53pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
And a late sunset

Attachment: another_lovely_sunset_8277.jpg
Size: 31.03 KB

Attachment: and_its_going_down_8830.jpg
Size: 34.71 KB

Attachment: same_again_tomorrow_please_4084.jpg
Size: 26.49 KB

Attachment: misty_mountains_3105.jpg
Size: 43.69 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 2, 2016, 7:14pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Tuesday 2nd August

So the sun wasn't up this morning when I was...I beat it but it wasn't a truly spectacular occasion.  There wasn't much red in the sky and it was yellow when it came up.  I concentrated on the garden this morning...I was digging up shrubs, putting grass cuttings in the bottom of the holes and applying bottles upside down next to them so that I can get the water to the roots.  That should sort them out.  I went back to the hole that I'd dug at the bottom of the garden but on a closer inspection, I reckon I have hit bedrock so I'm looking for another place to dig a hole.  

I cleared out the rubbish from the house and had a bonfire but this time in the metal half barrel...it's far too dangerous to try it  in the burning pit. One load of washing done and hung out and by one I was inside, had finished with the garden and I took to the sunbed with my book but in the shade.  No sleep for me today, I had a shower and washed my hair and got out the bowl to soak my feet, take the old nail varnish off and clean out all of the soil that accumulates when you are using gardening clogs and playing mud pies to protect your plants.  Unfortunately, I'd damaged my toe nail and hadn't noticed how badly until I removed the varnish, half of the nail came away which quite turned my stomach....now I only have half a nail.

So packed up swimming gear and overnight clothes and headed for the Librarians at about five thirty.  I'd watered the garden before I  left but I  really didn't need to bother....I stopped off at Mrs D of S's to drop off some wadding which should amuse my Princess, had coffee with them and got to the Librarians for seven thirty.  They'd already eaten so I gorged on sausage rolls, met the new family members and we sat outside chewing over the fat so to speak.  Just after ten my time and there are no photos tonight.  Tomorrow we are off to Greece in the Beast and heading for the sea and sand so there will be photos tomorrow.  I'm signing off....my company is requested outside....more sausage rolls...LN  And camera on charge for tomorrow...LN
Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 3, 2016, 6:06pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Wednesday 3rd August

Well the camera on charge was forgotten.  The little one's battery was flat as you like and the big one was still at home when I got back tonight.  I went out in such a rush yesterday afternoon...but I did remember everything else.

Disturbed night at the Librarians.  There was a fly in the room so I was sitting up in bed with the fly swat at two this morning, a new little dog that is a sweet little thing but obviously not yet trained decided that she was going to raise hell and bark and howl about four and then the mosque struck up at five.  I was out having a coffee with the Librarian by six fifteen and eventually the rest of the house came too and we did manage to set off at nine thirty for Greece.  Now I'd not bothered with maps and as far as I was concerned I was the chauffeur and it came to pass....We got over the border OK and all passports were looked at and handed back but the Greek contingent and it was a really quick process.  Having said that we found the first town OK and it was down hill from there.  It would have helped if we knew where we were heading and after a little heated discussion, I turned the car round and headed back for a beach that I knew.  It was accepted well, maybe we should have made that our objective from the start but all's well that end's well.  

Surprisingly the beach was empty for August.  I'd been told to expect it to be heaving and full of Bulgarians but there was a few Greeks there and that was it.  We found a deserted beach umbrella, unpacked our stuff, swam, had lunch, swam again and had pizza for a five o'clock meal before we made tracks.  Fanare to the Librarians's house, one hour twenty...not bad at all and that was with a slight delay at the border crossing.  We shall be doing it again....

So family dropped off and returned to find my camera on the sofa so those taken were with the phone and you really couldn't see what you were taking.  I'll have to fiddle with the settings to see if I can get it to behave itself but I'm not holding out much hope.  Not much good in the sun,  Request for a supper date for Friday that I shall accept, tomorrow is a tidy day and gardening day and tonight is a chat with our maker to see if we can have some rain.  I'm going to post...I've feeling zonked after driving for three hours...I'm really not used to it.  I do love a day at the beach though, you have that sun tiredness...it must be the ozone.  LN...I'm off to relax...LN

Attachment: fanare_beach_2068.jpg
Size: 65.79 KB

Attachment: from_the_restaurant_4427.jpg
Size: 65.39 KB

Attachment: promenade_5808.jpg
Size: 75.10 KB

Attachment: lonely_seagull_3154.jpg
Size: 75.58 KB

Attachment: could_this_please_be_rain_2401.jpg
Size: 61.29 KB

Attachment: my_tree_with_its_halo_5119.jpg
Size: 38.67 KB

Attachment: pink_and_fluffy_99.jpg
Size: 43.88 KB

Attachment: new_pet_7451.jpg
Size: 20.12 KB

Attachment: reflected_on_my_desk_8445.jpg
Size: 50.84 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 4, 2016, 6:20pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Thursday 4th August

I've found the secret to a really good night's sleep with no memory of waking even for an instant.  Drive for three hours down to Greece and spend the day swimming and lazing in the sun.  I slept really well until six thirty this morning and very relaxed.  I went out and watered the essentials but wanted to see how the shrubs would fare if I watered them every two days but gave them double the quantity,  What I want is water at the roots so that they don't start to grow surface roots that shrivel in the hot sun.  They were OK but this evening everything had a good soaking.

As for the rest of the day...I've got a spiraea set up on bottle feeding and I'm hoping it does the trick.  There were a few white roots left so now they are sunk in grass trimmings and mud to see how they get on.  Tidied out the swimming gear and one load of washing done.  It was almost dry before I'd finished hanging it out...the ups and downs of hot summer living.

At twelve I was lying on the sofa with the Kindle and that's where I stayed until the hunger bug got me and it was toast and a sort of local corned beef followed by two lots of ice cream....played a few games but managed to stay awake.  Perhaps that's the other secret to having a good night's sleep.  Six o'clock and it was water the garden time....and I noticed that the only casualty seemed to be a gladioli that had the flower head drooping.  New bulbs and the first time that they've flowered so it had an extra dousing and I'll check it tomorrow morning.  In by eight and watched Eggheads....no supper necessary...the heat keeps the hunger at bay when you've had a good lunch.  

The sunset seemed to be full of promise but there was no dramatic sky this evening.  It did show the promise of a few rain clouds but I've been caught like that before.  Live in hope...we could do with it.  There's an exodus of new and old friends over the next couple of days and it's got me into looking at flights...my feet get itchy.  LN....Kindle and bed...LN

Attachment: promise_of_a_beautiful_sunset_340.jpg
Size: 32.80 KB

Attachment: bit_of_a_cloudy_one_4836.jpg
Size: 52.26 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 4 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 5, 2016, 8:16pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Friday 5th August

Now that sunrise this morning was disappointing...I expected a big red ball and got yellow right from the off.  Boy has it been hot today though and I thing I've slept through a lot of it.

I was pretty active and so were the bee eaters.  Firstly they were flying high and then decided that the electricity cables were the place to be and they finally settled on my tall cherry tree.  They are such beautiful birds when you catch them in full flight and the sun shines on their wings but it's catching them.  Down to the bread van for a fresh loaf and a cheesy bread for breakfast.  My Avatar's daughter is up from Turkey for a few days and they were in the garden making green tomato, pepper and garlic turcia or a light pickle...very industrious for just after eight.  I watched them for a while when I'd got the bread, she gave me another pot of her home-made yogurt and I settled on my terrace with a fresh coffee and the cheesy bread...breakfast.  I washed up and generally tidied round, put a couple of blankets in to wash, sorted the plants out that needed that extra water but thought I'd save the main watering for night-time.  Not sure it's going to work though...there were a few bending over tonight so it might be morning and night for the next few weeks looking at the weather forecast.

Settled in with the Kindle on the sunbed and face down to get some colour onto the back of my legs.  With the Beast parked in the drive it really cuts off the view from the road to the terrace so I was well hidden.  I was out there until just after one but it really was too hot and my eyes lids were heading southwards.  I was still reading the Kindle with my eyes closed and carrying on with the story....and checking with my friends...this is not a new occurrence.

Back on to the sofa and checked emails etc and played a few games.  Showered and washed my hair to get ready to visit my student for supper and realised that I still had to water the garden before I left.  Finished it by five thirty, hair dried, quickly got some clothes on and was at their house by six ten....not bad going.  They were just about to serve supper when they had guests descend on them, a cousin from Sweden and his family.  They joined us for supper and didn't leave until ten fifteen so I had to wait for them to leave before I could get my car out.

Uneventful journey back.....but obviously this posting is late.  We've made plans for a day visit to Greece with the Beast and Turkey by autobus from Djebel since it goes every Friday.  Plans are made but no dates attached to date.  LN....I need to get my head down...LN

Attachment: its_on_its_way_6971.jpg
Size: 25.88 KB

Attachment: and_here_we_go_4025.jpg
Size: 23.42 KB

Attachment: bee_eaters_are_out_280.jpg
Size: 17.85 KB

Attachment: settled_on_the_wires_5090.jpg
Size: 55.35 KB

Attachment: and_in_the_cherry_667.jpg
Size: 104.19 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 5 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 6, 2016, 5:35pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Saturday 6th August

Another five thirty start and caught the sun and by jingo, it was huge and red this morning.  I was out to the garden for my customary review of the estate.  Book, coffee and I decided not to water as part of my experiment to see whether I can get away with once a day but with the temperature going up as high as it did today, I don’t think it’s on.  I’ve left the hose on the big forsythia on the frog garden,,,it was looking very sad.

So today it’s been a very gentle day.  I was listening to the News/Olympic catch up, Friday’s Sudoku beckoned and breakfast of beans on toast didn’t happen until ten thirty.  I was tempted with a visit to Kardjali but it’s now moved to Monday with Mrs D of S.  Book out and yet again…it was much too hot to be out and about and working in the garden or lying on the sunbed.  Of course you know what’s coming next…sleep and I was out until four this afternoon.

Up I went to catch the road race on Filmon and the BBC is blocked due to restriction rights….that’s me stuffed then.  Maybe I’ve got to invest in proper television and pay for it….nah…I don’t watch that much.  I’ll wait for the morning catch-up.  I had visitors this afternoon and unannounced.  One lady from Ankara visiting her mother in the next village and her cousin who lives in Holland.  They’ve knows that an English person lives in the village and decided to introduce themselves and give the house the once over.  I think they intend to renovate the mother’s house and are looking for ideas.

So watered the garden tonight and gave it a really good soaking as part of my experiment…..I’m bound for the kitchen….I need to decided on something for supper even though there’s not much enthusiasm there….it’s still very warm.  Nothing on the agenda for tomorrow…LN...another gentle day I think…LN

Attachment: and_here_it_is_8046.jpg
Size: 21.47 KB

Attachment: pretty_bathroom_flower_4653.jpg
Size: 54.16 KB

Attachment: birds_have_stripped_the_seeds_already_77.jpg
Size: 57.46 KB

Attachment: heady_jasmine_2859.jpg
Size: 50.98 KB

Attachment: lavetera_2146.jpg
Size: 37.93 KB

Attachment: oleander_9765.jpg
Size: 60.01 KB

Attachment: first_flower_on_new_japonica_kerria_39.jpg
Size: 37.72 KB

Attachment: first_fig_2467.jpg
Size: 36.80 KB

Attachment: mixed_sunflower_8862.jpg
Size: 51.65 KB

Attachment: terrace_in_bloom_9159.jpg
Size: 107.55 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 7, 2016, 5:15pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Sunday 7th August

Five thirty start and I just beat the man from the mosque.  I know I've complained about him before but he really does love his voice.  I wished I could say the same but the cats and dogs really love him and blast away with him.  I'll record it in the morning if I make it up in time....it would almost be one for You Tube....but instead I'll put it on FB.  

So coffee, garden, watering, internet and breakfast from the bread van although it didn't go down too well.  I have the feeling that it was yesterdays since I believe they don't do fresh on a Sunday but it filled the gap.  I was determined to do 'something' today so that I could see that I had achieved something and I did.  The bench that holds the outdoor sink has been painted to match the other one and I've swept up the leaves from the garage and on the terrace.  I had to make a journey into Djebel....when I removed the sink from the bench I noticed that the drain pipe had split so it's now replaced.  I also got more paint so that I can do the door screen before winter sets in and the pallet shelf that I made...so pat on the back for me....   That took me until one and with the temperature rising it was batten down the hatches and get set on the sofa with the book.

Early supper for me.  At three I put potatoes, onions and chicken wings into the oven and by the time I'd read a few chapters and turned the wings a few times, it was ready for five and munched by five thirty.  I played around on the internet for a while, posted a couple of photos of birds attacking my sunflowers and taking next years seeds.  I better get a few heads off, the sunflowers that is and not the birds, and hang them up to dry.  Not had an update on the Olympics.....I'm finding it hard to catch the news since live is banned on Filmon.  Garden is watered and my work is done for today.  LN...Kardjali tomorrow....LN

Attachment: difficult_to_spotupside_down_at_the_top_8216.jpg
Size: 94.06 KB

Attachment: baby_stretching_its_wings_4808.jpg
Size: 92.20 KB

Attachment: pair_of_them_2283.jpg
Size: 90.18 KB

Attachment: mother_and_baby_5529.jpg
Size: 87.80 KB

Attachment: easier_to_spot_392.jpg
Size: 95.10 KB

Attachment: and_theres_more_4850.jpg
Size: 83.68 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 8, 2016, 4:15pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Monday 8th August

Well I missed that man and his dogs and cats this morning…it was six thirty when I woke up and opening the curtains I had to rush up and get the camera.  It was that big red thing in the sky again that had to be captured …and it was.  I did sit out and watch the chaffinches on my sunflowers and I noticed that when I threw out the stale bread yesterday one big chunk had lodged in the fork of the acacia and all I could hear was a crunch, crunch or chip, chip….after all it was double baked….once in the oven and secondly in yesterday’s high temperature.  I sat and enjoyed the morning and there was a bit of a wind blowing so it was pleasant out there.  There was also a cat that I hadn't seen before and he was very interested in something in the grass.  Eventually I moved inside and on to the computer trying to find out how we had done in the Olympics so far and congrats to our first gold and silver in the swimming.

Washed and boots blacked and Mrs D of S was here more or less on time.  We sat out and drank coffee until it was time to leave.  She had an appointment at 12.10 which we assumed would be late since this is BG but she wasn’t kept waiting….a first for anything.  We did a little bit of shopping but were restricted…all the cash points in Kardjali appeared to be empty and we couldn’t get any money out.  Fortunately we had enough between us and left no debts behind. We had pizza for lunch at one of our little street restaurants for no money virtually and home for three thirty.  We both asked ourselves where the day went.….Five minutes on the terrace before I sent her on her way…I’ve mentioned going over to one of the swimming pools and getting there early before the diving and jumping children arrive.  Unfortunately thunderstorms are forecast for tomorrow and again we’ll wait and see.

Sun’s gone down and I missed it….out to water the garden and if there are thunderstorms tomorrow…We’re both praying for rain but we need lots of it to get down to the roots….down on your knees with us.  No supper required…those pizza are well worth having.  LN…Garden and hose pipe call….LN

Attachment: here_it_is_4470.jpg
Size: 27.27 KB

Attachment: in_close_up_9223.jpg
Size: 24.02 KB

Attachment: got_a_bit_higher_in_the_sky_925.jpg
Size: 23.92 KB

Attachment: and_the_clouds_came_over_8577.jpg
Size: 28.16 KB

Attachment: shrike_is_out_8059.jpg
Size: 35.97 KB

Attachment: bread_station_8774.jpg
Size: 113.59 KB

Attachment: i_have_another_cat_4082.jpg
Size: 92.69 KB

Attachment: waiting_for_something_1962.jpg
Size: 89.23 KB

Attachment: i_need_to_put_the_hose_on_it_9077.jpg
Size: 102.35 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 8 - 36
Elsa Peters
August 9, 2016, 6:31pm Report to Moderator

Diary Admin
Posts: 4,172
Gender: Female
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Location: Mobile!
Tuesday 9th August

Really stupid night last night.  Haciber's son was partying with his cousins from Sweden until after the bewitching hour and it took the sleep out of me.  I read until about one but by four I was awake again so back to my book, lights out around five thirty but was still up and at 'em by six thirty.  Out on to the terrace with coffee and Kindle, watched and photographed some of the morning especially the noisy baby chaffinches and by seven I was ready to assemble the shelving unit that I'd bought from Kaufland yesterday.  I lay it on the terrace, opened up the box to find that all the wood was there but no screw and Allan key despite demonstrating it on the one page literature.  Gutted.  This meant a trip to Kaufland to complain and they're not the easiest to resolve issues.  Stripped the bed and two loads of washing out before the morning had actually begun.

Bacon, eggs and mushrooms for breakfast and then I took the courgettes that were gifted yesterday over to my Avatar.  She invited me in, the daughter has arrived from Turkey for a holiday and they must have purchased a calf yesterday and it was cut up waiting for final butchering.  She got out the knife and sliced me some off, I'm not sure which bit it came from but I don't think they did either.  The intention was to bottle it and the daughter is taking it back to Turkey.  It was going to be a busy day for them.

At eleven I headed for Kardjali, left the said wooden artefact in the car and headed to reception with my receipt and the destructions indicating what was missing.  I explained the problem, the girl kicked off at twenty to the dozen in Bulgarian and I said that if she spoke slowly we wouldn't have a problem.  She asked me to go and get another one from the unit which I did and I wanted to open it up and take the screws out of it.  Instead she refused to let me open it so I went back to the car and brought in the badly packaged one and stuck it on the counter.  She took it from me and in front of her I opened up the new one and showed her that the screws and key were included in this one, I put them in my bag and left her to her own devices.  Such helpful souls.

Over to my cheapy shop and a cushion that I'd seen yesterday was still there and the girl said that it was waiting for me.  One day later...half price.  I finished off in Lidl to top up with fizzy water, stuck some diesel in the Beast and made my way home up the dirt road.  Unpacked the shopping, cream cheese and toasty biscuits for lunch, out with the book and slept for a couple of hours.  Woke up and realised that the sky was a little cloudy and there was a rumble of thunder, I quickly got the washing in and made the bed up for tonight and then down came the rain.  What a welcome sight and I was considering a rain dance to prolong it but to no avail.  Very short lived but at least it cleared the air.  It still meant that I have had to water the garden...it didn't touch the sides so to speak.  

Nine thirty my time and there's just been a flash of lightening so we might have more rain overnight....fingers crossed.  LN....I'm going to try to catch up on the Olympic medal table...LN

Attachment: baby_left_alone_993.jpg
Size: 50.50 KB

Attachment: getting_the_hang_of_it_1423.jpg
Size: 80.99 KB

Attachment: present_from_avatar_5610.jpg
Size: 56.80 KB

Attachment: we_have_rain_3212.jpg
Size: 53.97 KB

Attachment: real_rain_9000.jpg
Size: 70.92 KB

Attachment: short_lived_6973.jpg
Size: 41.69 KB

Attachment: hatches_battened_down_6979.jpg
Size: 72.73 KB

Attachment: gentle_sunset_3624.jpg
Size: 62.72 KB

Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread

My Diary by Elsa Peters (only location)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread